Elaina Plott ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

Class: 2015

College: Silliman

Major: History

Hometown: Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Meet this week’s Her Campus Celebrity, Elaina Plott ’15! This southern, sweet, collegiate celebrity is a leader in truly all aspects of campus life, from YDN Weekend Editor to Pi Beta Phi Exec member to Tory Party chairman. Read on to learn about Elaina’s favorite memories at Yale, embarrassing moments and all of her tremendous accomplishments.

Favorites-

Movie: A Walk to Remember

Study spot: GHeav

Food: Grilled cheese

New Haven Restaurant: Zinc

TV show: The OC

Dance song: Call Your Girlfriend, Robyn

Celebrity Crush: Tim Riggins

What are you involved with on campus?

This semester, I’m an editor of WEEKEND for the YDN, chairman of the Tory Party of the YPU [a philosophical debating society] and just finished up my term as both Vice President of Communications and Panhellenic representative for Pi Phi. I’m also involved in Yale Faith & Action and recently started as a research assistant to Steven Brill, who teaches the Yale Journalism Initiative’s fall Journalism seminar.

How do you like being YDN WEEKEND editor?

Oh my goodness, it’s an absolute dream. As an editor, helping a writer shape an article from a mere idea into a beautiful and substantive piece—it’s one of the most rewarding things I’ve ever experienced. And our writers are so talented! I feel like I learn something new about reporting and the English language every week from them. It also helps that I’m hopelessly in love with the other editors, Yanan and Jackson. They make the complete lack of sleep well worth it.

What has been your favorite Tory Party debate?

It was one that we held earlier this semester—on whether truth is within our reach. The debate went so long, all the way to midnight, and we really pushed each other on our conceptions of morality and if humans are capable of ever grasping it fully. It was one of those nights where you realize that, at a place like Yale, you learn just as much (if not more) about the world from your peers as you do from your professors.

What do you do in your free time?

Friday Night Lights. Because Tim Riggins.

What is your favorite Yale memory so far?

I had the best time at the Game this year—I didn’t go to Cambridge last year, and freshman year I was a cheerleader, so this was the first time I got to experience the tailgate and all that comes with it. By far one of the most fun days and nights of this fall, even though the game itself was pretty rough…

How does Alabama life differ from New Haven? Any culture shock experiences when you arrived Freshman year?

The days stretch on a lot longer in Alabama than they do here, but in a good way. The pace is just a lot slower and people are friendlier and the food is way better. But even so, I fell in love with Yale and the north and all that as soon as I got here. There was never really a substantial culture shock. Maybe the only one being that I’m still kind of in denial that winter exists and that big coats are, like, a thing.

Any embarrassing moments at Yale?

Way more than we have time for. I’m consistently embarrassing myself. Just a few days ago, I had my nose buried in my phone and ended up walking on autopilot into the common room of my suite—from last year. I then looked up to the horrified expression of a boy who (I assume) lives there now. He was like, “um…hey, can I help you?” It was so awful. I just started rambling about who knows what and he looked so confused. That’s when I knew it was time to get some sleep.

Where do you see yourself in five years?

Hopefully working at a magazine I love in the city! And living in a cool little studio in Chelsea and spending weekends in Watch Hill, Rhode Island. (That last part probably definitely won’t happen but I have a year and a half left to be delusional.)

What is your proudest accomplishment at Yale?

I think I’m most proud of the close relationships I’ve formed with my friends and professors. At a place like Yale, where everyone is so busy, it’s really hard to seek out and maintain meaningful friendships—those ones that you know will last long after college—and I’m proud that it’s something I’ve sought to prioritize over everything else.

When are you happiest?

I’m happiest whenever everyone around me is happy! That’s the best thing. But I also love those times in which you’re truly living in the moment, like dancing at Woad’s with your best friend and being able to totally push papers, p-sets and everything else out of your mind, even if just for the night.

What are you looking forward to over break?

Spending every single waking second with my family. I miss them so much when I’m here. I have a 3 year old sister, so I can’t wait to hang out with her and actually get to spend more than a week at home watching her grow up. I’m also excited to do things I can’t here, like drive my car and sit in Sonic drive-thru’s with my best friends from home drinking strawberry limeades and catching up. But mostly sleep. Just lots and lots of sleep.