Easing into Fall: “Pre-Fall Can Start Whenever You Want”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

Still loving the sun (and perhaps hating the humidity) but also ready to embrace autumn? Here is a guide to easing into fall style, by sneaking in seasonal colors, mixing textures, and balancing proportions.

Colors

Wearing warm-weather clothing in darker fall colors is the perfect solution for the humid-overcast days we’ve been having in New Haven. Emerald green, oxblood-maroon, earthy browns and honey tones, and black are all fair game.

Textures

Besides color, texture is a main characteristic that differs by season in clothes. Mix airy, light rompers with tweed, leather, or suede-like pieces to transition into autumn. Even summer colors in a heavier material, such as a camel-colored leather skirt, can feel decisively “fall” and can be worn into winter.

Proportions

While unpredictable and increasingly chilly weather might tempt us to ditch our summer dresses and limb-bearing outfits, adding a lined leather jacket and booties to a summer favorite is an easy fix that maximizes your summer and winter clothing and results in unexpectedly chic combinations. Play with structured or oversized coats and blazers, and flowy, simple skirts, shorts and dresses to heighten the contrast in proportions, and add booties, oxfords, or loafers to add a fall touch.