WOMB MATES: What it’s Like to Grow up With a Twin Sister

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

On August 12, 1997, my mom was #blessed with two beautiful girls. Of course, I was first because I’m impatient and always want to be the star of the show. Then came my sister, Sammie. She’s the passive quiet one (okay, don’t let her fool you, she’s crazy).

We were the perfect pair. Barbies, mischief, and giggles. We were the ultimate scammers. My sister would sneak crackers or cookies into our bedroom while I distracted my mom with either a good ol’ cry or just hold her face in mine so she couldn’t turn her head.

After 8 years of all those fun and games, we got the best gift kids could receive. My twin brother and sister, Eddie and Isabella, were born. Sammie and I then became the perfect pair of babysitters (my mom would definitely disagree on this statement). They added a BUNCH of fun and drama, but Sammie and I were still the OGs.

When I first decided to write this article, I wanted it to be, “What it’s like to grow up with two sets of twins,” but I just had so much more content with Sammie. We had 8 years of experience before Eddie and Bella were born. I wanted to mention the younger brats because they are my heart and soul, but for the sole purpose of length, this article is about what it’s like growing up with a twin.

Your mom dresses you in matching outfits

Okay, this is the ultimate goal right? Having twins and dressing them the same!

You can always be silly and have fun together

It’s like having your best friend around all the time.

You can travel the world together

I was blessed with parents who do anything to make us happy. Because of this, we’ve been able to travel to some amazing places.

You could raise turkeys together!!

Okay wait, not all families raised turkeys?

You played the same sports

We played soccer, volleyball, and basketball together. This was great because we always had someone to try to measure up to. Kind of like a constant competition.

You can grieve together

We’ve been through quite a few losses, and always having a support system is so reassuring. It doesn’t take the pain off of a loss, but it does make it easier to get through.

Your pets love it because they get extra snuggles

Double the kids = double the love

YOU get extra snuggles

Other than when she was BITING me, we had some good sleepovers. We shared a room until we were 6 or 7, so it was inevitable. Even after we got second rooms we still slept together.

You didn’t have to worry about prom

Who needs a date when you have a sister? Am I right? (We never went together but it’s the thought that counts)

You share friends

By choice or not, you were both invited to the same birthday parties.

You share all the big moments together

From birthdays to graduation, you celebrate all of the most exciting milestones together.

Family vacations were… interesting

Vacations were a mixture of fun and fights and tears! Mostly fun, but the sibling arguments were DEFINITELY a thing.

Double the trouble

If you try hard enough, (for us we didn’t have to try at all) you can make your dad go BALD.

You learn how much you can really miss someone

Sammie goes to Michigan Tech University. Being at Xavier that means she’s about 11 hours away.

Maggie is a Sport Management major with minors in Business and Deaf Studies. She an avid netflix watcher so if you need any suggestions for a new series to watch, she's got you. Her end goal is to work for the US women's national soccer team or the Detroit Pistons!