andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Studying Abroad Changed My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

This past semester I had the amazing opportunity to study abroad in Madrid, Spain and it was one of the greatest times of my life.

Studying abroad was something that I have wanted to do since I was in high school so when my plane touched down in January, I knew I was in for a great time. It was nerve-wracking, though, being in a continent where I didn’t know anyone but myself, and living with a family who I had never met, going to school who’s language that I knew well, but wasn’t completely fluent in. Besides all that, there was never a time I wanted to quit, even though there were some tough moments. 

It was hard that first couple of weeks, when I was still making friends and felt particularly alone or when I had trouble understanding the different accents of the people in my neighborhood. However, it did teach me a few things about myself. 

One, it taught me how confident I could be. If I could go and live in a country where I had no friends or family, and excel at doing that, then I could be confident with whatever issue life threw at me. By the end of my four months, I had mastered the art of living in a new city and I was no longer unsure of what I was capable of. 

Second, it taught me how self-sufficient I could be. It was the first time I had traveled outside of the country and there were plenty of things I had to think about traveling to everyday living. All in all, studying abroad changed my life for the better!

Allison Kane

Xavier '20

Allison Kane is a senior Marketing major and Spanish minor at Xavier University. When she's not working on the HerCampus Xavier Marketing Team, she spends her time, playing catch with her "unwilling" friends, eating Kit Kats and haning out with her fish.
Tasha Young is a senior Marketing and Communications major from Dallas, Texas. She is the Marketing Manager and Co-Correspondent for Her Campus Xavier and the Vice President of Xavier's Women In Business. She's a giant comic book nerd who loves Mexican food, pokehunting with her dog, and playing video games with her boyfriend.