Why Girls Should Stop Hating on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

What is it about Valentines Day that most single girls hate? The PDA, the loneliness, the resentment they feel toward their friends with boyfriends? Let’s not forget that even girls in relationships often stay away from the hype of Valentine’s Day. It’s a love hate kind of day. There are girls who obsess over it and set expectations, and there are girls who could care less. And then there are the sad, lonely, single girls who could write a book on why they hate the day.

Girls loathe Valentine’s Day for reasons that make sense but, at this point, the complaints and pity-parties have gotten really old. Seriously. It’s understandable, to an extent, why some single girls hate Valentine’s Day so much. But what’s the big deal? Why deny a chance to get dressed up, dine at an expensive restaurant and exchange cute gifts? If couples want to go all out on this day, they deserve to. It’s a day for love.

And let’s be honest, on this day you start looking through old photo albums of you and your ex and cry to yourself. Why did he break up with me? Am I not good enough? Why does nobody love me? All of these questions swirl around your mind as you indulge in chocolate and listen to depressing love songs. Here at Her Campus, we have six reasons for why girls should stop the hate on Valentine’s Day.

1.     Hating on it is a waste of time and energy

Why spend the day bitter and upset over the fact that you’re single? There’s no point and being upset won’t make a man magically appear. You don’t need to spend all day stressing over it and hating on people who celebrate it, because, honestly, it won’t make you feel better.

2.     You’re free and independent… that’s not something to be SO upset over

So you have no significant other to spend the day with. Find something else to do! You’re a free woman, and one day of the year cannot dictate your life.

3.     “I’m forever alone.”               

No, stop it. Just because you’re single on Valentines Day, doesn’t mean you’ll be always be alone. Why even think like that? You need to feel confident about yourself and not worry so much. Who knows, you could meet ‘the one’ on February 15th. Not having a significant other on Valentine’s Day doesn’t mean you’re alone for the rest of your life, so take a breather and stop feeling bad for yourself. There’s someone out there for you… they just haven’t showed up yet.

4.     Let’s be honest, love deserves its own day.

If you think about it, we celebrate – a lot. Christmas, Easter, St. Patrick’s Day, birthdays, Halloween. Obviously, Valentine’s Day has less significance than some of the bigger holidays, but it still deserves a spot on our calendars. Ok, sure, sometimes the corny Hallmark cards and jumbo-sized bears are a little obnoxious, but it’s the idea of the day that we should really look at. It’s about love – the power of it and the positive effect that it has on us.

5.     It’s not all about significant others

Take the day to let those who love you know that you appreciate them, whether it be your parents, grandparents, siblings or friends. Buy cheesy cards or chocolates and give them to the people you care about. Let them know that they’re loved and how thankful you are to have them in your life. What’s so wrong with receiving money in the mail from a grandparent or a care package from your mom with a cute V-day note? Nothing.

6.     YOU have the power to make this day just what you want it to be

You could lay in bed, glass of wine in hand, binge-eat sweets and cry over the perfection of Chuck and Blair, wishing that your life could be the last Gossip Girl episode. Or, you could appreciate the love that is in your life and realize that Valentine’s Day isn’t that big of a deal. Sure, they may sell one too many corny cards, flowers and boxes of chocolates on this Hallmark holiday… but love is love, so embrace the day and understand that February 14th isn’t so bad after all.

Allison Wisyanski is a junior English major and Writing minor from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and is a featured writer for HCXU. Allison also writes for the Arts and Entertainment column for the Xavier Newswire. Her guilty pleasures are Nicholas Sparks novels, the color pink, and Nutella. She's a lover of travel and in her spare time, she enjoys to binge-watch JFK documentaries, shop, run, and soak up the sun.
Brittany is a senior accounting major from Saint Louis, Missouri and is a Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not organizing Her Campus Xavier, she can be found working with Tedx Xavier University or Xavier Women in Business. She  wishes she could spend all of her free time with puppies.