What It’s Like Going to the Same College as Your Twin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Senior year, when my twin brother and I were researching schools and trying to decide where we wanted to spend the next four years of our lives, we made an unspoken decision that we wanted to go to different schools. We had spent the last 18 years taking every step together, and now we wanted to not just be known as Matthew’s twin sister or as Sara’s twin brother. We knew that we would always have the twin factor, and it would always be apart of our lives… but we were not a package deal. As it turns out, though, we both picked the same school.

Matthew knew from the beginning that this is where he wanted to be because of Xavier’s excellent nursing program; he decided in November of our senior year. I, on the other hand, decided 2 weeks before the national decision day. I am a very indecisive person, so picking a college was very stressful. Now that I am looking back on the whole experience I think I knew it was Xavier all along, I just didn’t want to declare it because Matthew already had. 

Matthew and I at high school graduation… Xavier proud!

Now that we are here I honestly think it was one of the greatest things that could happen and (so far) has only made my college experience better. Starting college is easily one of the hardest and scariest things I have had to do. Some pick up their lives and move it across town; others will move it across the country.

No matter how far you are from home everything is new, freighting but also exciting; new teachers, new classes, new living spaces and all new friends. But the beauty of having your twin with you is that you can always see familiar face in a sea of unknown.

This was one of the greatest comforts that I grew to rely on throughout my first couple weeks of college. You always have someone to eat with. You have a built-in buddy. You can cry on their shoulder, and they won’t judge you. They are going through the exact same thing you are and have very similar feelings about what’s happening. You can always lean on each other. You always have someone that has your back. 

I had no idea what to expect when Matthew and I decided to go to the same university, but our relationship as twins grew for the better. So I don’t know about him, but I think it’s pretty cool.

HCXO, 

Sara

Sara is a Sophomore Public Relations major with a double minor in Political Communications and Business at Xavier University. She is also involved with an acapella group, Acabellas, and the Center for Faith and Justice on campus. She loves all dogs, dark chocolate, and inspirational quotes. 
Brittany is a senior accounting major from Saint Louis, Missouri and is a Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not organizing Her Campus Xavier, she can be found working with Tedx Xavier University or Xavier Women in Business. She  wishes she could spend all of her free time with puppies.