This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Like everyone else in the Xavier nation, I began remote learning this week. However, I’m finishing out my final semester here at Xavier. Not exactly the ending I was hoping for, but with the pandemic, I am grateful that I still get to graduate on time. As a second semester senior who went through hell first semester to have a light schedule, I found it interesting to adjust to remote learning. For some of my classes, it was easy, simply watching lectures on Zoom. For others though, we had to completely restructure the class and what we are doing. 

Painting 1 

So my painting class sadly can’t continue on as it had at Xavier. As a non-major, we only bought a certain amount of the supplies and the rest was provided for us. I am sad that my painting class has come to an end, in some sense, because I was having a lot of fun with it! Now I am writing a research paper on Dutch art and its symbolism, as well as how it affected the movement at the time. I’m keeping myself up to date with my professor through email and each class period he sends an email of what he expects for the day. For the non-majors, it’s research and works on our papers. For the major though, they continue to work with the supplies they have bought and to keep pushing on with our class like normal– except in a different setting. 

Creative Fiction 

My favorite class for this semester! We are watching lectures that have been recorded previously and taking part in discussions on Canvas. For the most part, it’s the same, I just feel as though I’m not getting some of the necessary feedback I was getting when we were in class– which is no fault of anyone. It’s just sad for me. Hopefully, as time goes, the discussions will help with editing our final short story. 

Consumer Behavior 

I think my Consumer Behavior professor has done the best job in transitioning a class from in-person to online. She has kept our class as similar to our in-person meetings as she can. We zoom in during our class period and she even uses the breakout rooms in Zoom so that we can talk to one another. She has also provided us with the most links through email and on Canvas, plus has made herself even more available than she already was. I’m grateful she has been able to transition the class so easily in such a difficult time. Shout out to Dr. Ashley! Your lectures are going great.

Marketing Capstone 

My marketing capstone class hasn’t changed that much as it was more of a project-based class and all these changes are that our project must be done heavily over Zoom right now. My professor does Zoom with us during our class period and, even if we don’t have a lecture, he has made himself available during class time to Zoom in if we have any questions.

Overall while remote learning is not what any of us wanted out of the rest of our semester. It has been going well (at least on my end). While we are missing out on those in-person interactions, at least we are able to complete our semester on time. Hopefully, any bugs or hiccups will be worked out and the rest of the semester will run smoothly!

Allison Kane

Xavier '20

Allison Kane is a senior Marketing major and Spanish minor at Xavier University. When she's not working on the HerCampus Xavier Marketing Team, she spends her time, playing catch with her "unwilling" friends, eating Kit Kats and haning out with her fish.
Tasha Young is a senior Marketing and Communications major from Dallas, Texas. She is the Marketing Manager and Co-Correspondent for Her Campus Xavier and the Vice President of Xavier's Women In Business. She's a giant comic book nerd who loves Mexican food, pokehunting with her dog, and playing video games with her boyfriend.