Not Your Usual Facts About Earth Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Today is Earth Day! That means it’s time to appreciate the place we all live: Earth. To help celebrate, here are some fun facts to help get you in the mood to appreciate our very own planet.

gif source

1. The very first Earth Day was celebrated on April 22, 1970.

2. Earth Day was officially renamed by the UN in 2009 as International Mother Earth Day.

3. Recycling saves three to five times more energy than waste incinerator power plants generate.

4. More than one-hundred thousand people in China rode bikes during Earth Day in 2012 to help reduce CO2 emissions.

5. On Earth Day in 2011, Afghanistan planted twenty-eight million trees.

6. If every newspaper was recycled, it would save one-quarter of a billion trees every year.

7. Plastic garbage kills at least one million animals in the ocean every year.

Earth Day is an important holiday that we celebrate every year to raise awareness about our impact on the planet. Help celebrate by picking up trash, recycling, or honing your conservation skills. Thank a bee, hug a tree, and high five the ground for being awesome.

Find out more about Earth Day by checking out DoSomething.org, HenslerNurseryIndiana.com, and SoftSchools.com

Amber Lauzé is a senior Entrepreneurial Studies and Management double major from Auburn, Maine. When not writing for HCXU, she can found at one of her many jobs, or hunting for her cat that likes to hide in blankets.
Brittany is a senior accounting major from Saint Louis, Missouri and is a Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not organizing Her Campus Xavier, she can be found working with Tedx Xavier University or Xavier Women in Business. She  wishes she could spend all of her free time with puppies.