The Journey of Being an Older Sister

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.
Every day since your little brother or sister was born, they have kept you on your toes and have never ceased to surprise you with what they can do. Your sibling is one of the only people, besides your parents, that know you better than you know yourself. You were there for every milestone in their life, and they have taught you endless amounts of life lessons such as always keep your favorite shirt hidden so that you just might get to wear it again. You have shared everything and have helped each other grow in ways that no one else could. The best part of being an older sister is getting to watch your sibling grow up and become an amazing person. Here are nine of the many steps in the amazing journey of being an older sister.

1) You remember the day that you were told you were going to be a big sister. Upon hearing this news, you had a mix of excitement and fear. You were so excited to be a big sister! You wondered if you were going to have a little brother or sister, and if you were going to be a good big sister or not.

2) The day they were born. When your little sibling was born, they looked so fragile and tiny. But when they started crying, you were fascinated with how such a tiny human could make such a loud sound. You knew right then and there that your entire life was going to be different, and you were not entirely sure how you felt about that.

3) When they first said your name. Or more like when your sibling muttered something that sounded like your name, which has now become your nickname – not only to them but to your entire family. Even though they stuck you with a terrible nickname, you couldn’t help but feel so proud of them for that.

4) Getting frustrated when they got away with things that you never could when you were their age. This is especially frustrating when they got a later curfew way before you did, or when they got to go out with friends that your parents haven’t met yet. It probably didn’t help that you told them how to handle your parents and get away with certain things either…

5) Rooting for them in their first sports game or activity. You showed up all decked out in their team colors and were louder than all of the parents in the crowd as you cheered them on to victory. That game became way more important to you than it was to them.

6) Their first day of high school, and all of the drama that came with high school. When you saw your little brother or sister leave for their first day as a freshman in high school, it hit you that there were not exactly so little anymore. You were their shoulder to cry on when they had their first heartbreak or when they lost an all important football game. You were there when it came to advice on the best and worst teachers, and you definitely bawled at their high school graduation.

7) You remember the day that you knew that the love you have for them is irreplaceable and never ending. This day was most likely the day that they came into your life and turned it upside down. You were no longer the baby of the family, and your little brother or sister needed a lot of attention. But to you, that was okay, because when you looked at them, or held them close to you, you realized how much love you had for that little tiny human in your arms.

8) You remember every tear, smile, and laugh that you have shared together. To this day, you can recall all of your childhood memories and inside jokes that only pertain to the two of you. Every single tear and smile you hold close to your heart, because you got to experience them with your best friend.

9) Watching them grow up has been a heartwarming and heartbreaking experience. Now that you are way older and so is your younger sibling, it warms your heart to see them becoming their own person and exploring the world. But, it also breaks your heart that they are all grown up now. You know that if you had a chance to go back and relive it all over, you wouldn’t change a thing.
Mary Soukup is a Sophomore Engineering Physics Major at Xavier University from Aurora, Indiana. When she is not writing articles for Her Campus, she can be found studying or working at the Cincincinnati Zoo. 
Danielle Curtis is a Junior at Xavier University and is HCXU's Campus Correspondent. She is majoring in English with minors in media studies and writing. She loves traveling, reading, and watching videos of failed marriage proposals.