Campus Profile: Claire Crane

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Name: Claire Crane

Where are you from?: Grew up in Batesville, Indiana

Year: Grad Student (this is her first semester)

Major(s)/Minor(s)

She is currently pursuing her master’s degree in English, but double-majored in English and History, while minoring in German as an undergrad.

Why did you choose your major/minor?

Reading is an exercise of empathy. Stories, factual or fictional, allow us to revist the past and see the present through another person’s eyes. Through writing, we can better understand each other and our world.

What is your dream job or what do you plan to do after graduation?

I hope to run a writing center, supporting literacy and empowering individuals to express themselves and their ideas through the written word, and I would like to teach literature and composition at the college level.

What’s your favorite thing about Xavier or being a student at XU?

I have loved the conversations about writing I have had with students at the Writing Center, and my discussion-based courses have been so energetic and engaging!

Where is your favorite place to be on Xavier’s campus?

There’s a quiet corner of campus by Hinkle Hall with trees and flowers and a nice bench. I like to do a little reading or writing there between work and class.

Do you have any hobbies/jobs?

In my spare time, I enjoy hiking, gardening, knitting, researching my family tree, reading and writing creatively. I’m a graduate assistant at Xavier’s Writing Center, so I get to talk about writing and communicating ideas effectively all day! You never know what assignments from what disciplines you’ll be discussing with a student next, so I’m always learning something new.

What else are you involved in on campus?

I’m not yet involved in anything else on campus, but I’ve been so impressed by the range of student organizations.

What motivates you?

My faith, my family, and the thrill of learning something new.

Do you have a quote or saying you live by?

Actually, I have a poem, Max Ehrmann’s Desiderata that I return to again and again for perspective.

What is your greatest achievment and how did it affect you?

Getting through the grad school application process was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done, and I came out of it stronger, more determined, and so grateful, knowing how many people are in my corner.

What is one thing you want to do this year?

I want to dust off some of my past research projects and see if I can’t get something published!

If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?

I would love to explore the American West, since it has had a hold on my imagination ever since I was little. I visited the Four Corners region with my family in intermediate school, I read the journals of Lewis and Clark in middle school, and one of my favorite authors, Willa Cather, writes about the pioneers and prairie.

What’s a fun fact about you?

I played in a steel drum band during high school.

Mary Soukup is a Sophomore Engineering Physics Major at Xavier University from Aurora, Indiana. When she is not writing articles for Her Campus, she can be found studying or working at the Cincincinnati Zoo.