Campus Celebrity: Alexa Achberger

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Name: Alexa Achberger

Graduation Year: 2018

Hometown: Lisbon, OH

Major: Early Childhood Education

Activities: Pep band, Education Club, has an on campus job at the CLC, TRiO, UpSpring buddies, Psychology Club, Alternative Breaks, CFJ Companion Group

If you could pick one song to be the soundtrack of your life, what song would you choose?

“Flawless” by Beyoncé

If you could go back in time to meet anyone, who would you meet?

Robin Williams, because he was funny!

If you could be an extra in any movie, which one would you choose?

Any of the Jurassic Parks. Those are my favorite movies of all time!

You are a part of Xavier pep band, engage in extracurricular activities such as education club and UpSpring buddies and you work, how do you balance your time?

I’m still trying to figure that one out haha!

Do you ever feel overwhelmed with everything you are involved in?

Yes, all the time! But when I try to think of what I would cut out of my schedule, I just remember how much I love everything that I am a part of.

Why did you decide to work at the circulation desk?

My roommate during freshman year worked here and really enjoyed it. So, when a position opened up I took it. 

What is UpSpring Buddies?

UpSpring Buddies is a program where every individual will be paired with their own mentee. These are children that live in homes that they may not feel safe in or just have no one that is a predictable and stable figure at home.

What made you decide to join UpSpring Buddies?

It seemed like the perfect activity for me as an Education Major, but also because it seemed like something I would truly enjoy. I am constantly with children in a classroom setting and this has proved to be a great opportunity to see what they are like outside of school. This program also stands for something that is very close to my heart as it is to provide a stable figure in the life of a child that may have nobody else.

What are your plans after graduation?

After graduation, I would like to apply to Teach for America or a similar program and do that for a year or two. Then, I would like to attend graduate school to attain my master’s in school counseling to eventually become a school counselor.

Brittany is a senior accounting major from Saint Louis, Missouri and is a Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not organizing Her Campus Xavier, she can be found working with Tedx Xavier University or Xavier Women in Business. She  wishes she could spend all of her free time with puppies.