50 Excuses You’ve Told Yourself to Avoid Studying for Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

1. I still have a lot of homework due; I don’t have any time left for finals. 

2. Two weeks until finals? I still have plenty of time.

3. I’ll definitely start tomorrow. 

4. My finals aren’t going to be THAT bad. 

5. And they’re only worth 30% of my grade! 

6. I can get a B- on the final and still pass the class, so I’m in good shape. 

7. Before I can start studying, I need to catch up sleep. You can’t study well with a tired mind! 

8. I don’t know where my textbooks are.

9. I’d love to start studying, but American Horror Story is on. 

10. Once I figure out which ugly sweater to wear to the Christmas party, then I’ll start studying.

11. My notes aren’t organized. 

12. I have to clean my room.

13. I have to go to the gym.

14. I’m hungry.

15. Everyone should just protest finals. They can’t fail everyone.

16. I’m too stressed out to even being thinking about those finals. 

17. My professor hasn’t handed out the study guide yet.

18. I go to class (almost) everyday. I should be fine. 

19. I’m just going to have a mental breakdown instead of studying.

20. If I think about how hard I’m going to study, that will be a good start for today.

21. I should relax now because the “Study Day” is when I’m going to be freaking out.

22. I got all my books out now, so I’ll just take a short break. 

23. Nap time. 

24. Don’t I have laundry that really needs to get done?

25. What an excellent time to clean out my room. 

26. I study best with note cards… which means I have to go buy note cards. So we might as well go to Kroger and get some groceries while we’re out.

27. First, I must make a list of all the things I need to do. 

28. Second, after making above list, freak out at how long the list is until nothing gets done. 

29. I should Snapchat everyone all my books and computer because “Look how much work I have left to do!!” 

30. As soon as I finish this episode of Grey’s Anatomy. 

31. I planned on starting an hour ago, but I got distracted. Guess I’ll try again tomorrow.

32. Since I study better in the morning, I should just wake up at like 5am and study then.

33. I know I’m supposed to be researching for my 10 page final paper, but look at this video of a dog playing in the snow for the first time!

34. It’s too cold outside to walk to the library. 

35. Maybe I can marry rich.

36. Maybe I’ll be one of those people that didn’t do well in college but ended up using their natural talents to create a multi-billion dollar company. 

37. My printer isn’t working.

38. But my FAVORITE 25 Days of Christmas movie is playing right now! 

39. I’ve earned it all semester to have a little break. 

40. I would go to the optional review session, but I work better on my own. 

41. My friends from class haven’t texted me back about meeting up to study. 

42. I should just put all my notes for all my classes in one big binder to lug around so everyone can see how hard I’m studying.

43. A lot of famous people waited until the day-of to start doing things they needed to get done, and it worked out fine for them.

44. I’ll just play some games on my phone to de-stress a little.

45. Let’s get on Twitter and see if everyone else is struggling with finals like me.

46. Look at all these people on Instagram that are having more fun with their lives than I am…

47. Why am I still tagged in pictures from the eighth grade?? I need to go through my tags on Facebook… all 2,000 of them.

48. I should make a motivational pump-up playlist. 

49. I don’t want to study. 

50. Maybe I’m cutting it a little close and I won’t have time to study everything… nah. 

Brittany is a senior accounting major from Saint Louis, Missouri and is a Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not organizing Her Campus Xavier, she can be found working with Tedx Xavier University or Xavier Women in Business. She  wishes she could spend all of her free time with puppies.