5 Haunted Houses in Cincinnati that Will Terrify You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Ghosts and goblins and scares…OH MY!

It’s official. The temperature has dropped, it’s officially October, and we are now less 31 days from Halloween. Besides scary movies and candy, you will soon be looking for great places to visit this Halloween. Here are 5 places to get your fright on this October in Cincy:

The Dent Schoolhouse

5963 Harrison Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45248

source

Gather your girls and take a visit to Cincinnati’s “Scariest Haunted House” (E! News even rated it the #1 scariest haunted house in America).  Follow your collegiettes through this old school house controlled by Charlie the Janitor. Your heart will be racing for hours after escaping! If you are one of the lucky few that do escape…

Halloween Haunt

6300 Kings Island Dr, Mason, OH 45040

source

Low on cash but still want a scare? Halloween Haunt is for you! This Kings Island’s attraction has it all with numerous haunted houses, roller coasters, and interactive frights while you wait in lines. There’s no better excuse to get closer to your bae than telling him you’re scared while walking through the park. Just make sure to watch out for the scary guys sliding around on kneepads.

USS Nightmare

101 Riverboat Row, Newport, KY 41071

source

This shipwreck located on the banks of the Ohio River appeared to have no survivors… until now. The ghosts that haunt this ship come back each Halloween to scare off the special guests that come aboard. You’ll be crying for land by the time you finish this haunted attraction!

Highway 50 Fright Field

11294 US Highway 50, North Bend, Ohio 45052

source

The property was built on known sacred Indian Burial Mounds. Now. the ghosts have their vengeance on those who decide to walk through the corn maze each year. Make sure to bring a buddy to get you through this haunted walk! 

Land of Illusions

8762 Thomas Rd, Middletown, OH 45042

source

Are you tired of the same haunted house routine every weekend? Switch it up by visiting Land of Illusions in Middletown.  This haunted theme park will be a good alternative to scare you this weekend.

Wavery Hills Sanatorium

4400 Paralee Ln, Louisville, KY 40272

source

You won’t only be screaming “ROAD TRIP!” for this adventure. Waverly Hills Sanatorium in Louisville opened in 1910 to aid tuberculosis patients and know as one of the scariest places in America. Numerous ghost-hunting teams have visited, even Ghost Hunters from the SyFy channel! It’s so terrifying that if you make it to the end you get your money back. 

Instead of spending the weekend locked up in your room watching scary movies, venture out to one of our top five places to get a real scare.  And remember:

source

Brittany is a senior accounting major from Saint Louis, Missouri and is a Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not organizing Her Campus Xavier, she can be found working with Tedx Xavier University or Xavier Women in Business. She  wishes she could spend all of her free time with puppies.