This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

With so many different types of birth control out there, it is really hard to choose which one is best for. A common misconception is that birth control is only for those who are sexually active. This is definitely false. Yes, if you are sexually active and do not plan on getting pregnant, it is a very good idea to be on birth control. But it can also be used for many other things, such as helping with regulating your period. Here are some different forms of contraceptives that may be a good idea to consider using if you are sexually active or want to help with regulating and controlling your body. 

Intrauterine Device (IUD) –

An IUD is a device that is inserted by a doctor into your uterus. It is one of the most effective forms of birth control out there. It works by giving out a small amount of hormone that stops an egg from being fertilized. Since it is literally in your uterus, it uses less hormones compared to other methods such as the pill. Once it is placed, you do not need to worry about anything for 3-5 years, depending on which specific type you get, unless there is a complication of course. While it is inserted, you may experience cramping that can be quite uncomfortable. This will lighten up and go away after a day or so.  For the first few weeks after it is placed, you will most likely have very irregular periods but once your body adjusts to it your periods will become much lighter and may even go away all together. If you are sexually active and are with a partner that you trust (it does not protect you against STD’s), you do not need to use a condom if you feel comfortable doing so.

The Pill –

A very common form of birth control. The pill is painless, easy to use, and can help with regulating periods. It is also very good at preventing pregnancy by using hormones to prevent your body from releasing an egg. Although, in order for it to fully work, you have to take it everyday at the same time. This can be difficult for some and is definitely worth thinking about when choosing which method is best for you. Other methods similar to the pill are the Patchwhich can go under you arm or on your stomach and is changed once a week, and the Ringwhich you insert yourself and stays there for three weeks and then again once your period ends. 

Condom 

One of the simplest forms of birth control and few that actually protect you from STD’s. You do not need to go to a doctor to get condoms so they tend to be a very easy choice. If used correctly (put on right, not used after expiration, right size, etc), they can be fairly effective and are a much better option than methods like pulling-out. If condoms are your birth control of choice, it is best to get the ones with spermicide (kills any sperm that make get out of the condom) for extra protection. Most methods in which you see a doctor for are mostly if not completely covered by your insurance so you do not have to pay anything for them. As you do not have to go to the doctor for condoms, you do have to pay for them.

Over 50% of pregnancies are unplanned in our country, with 43% of these due to inconsistent or incorrect use of different birth control methods. While our age group is one of the highest to have unplanned pregnancies, we also have so many different methods available to us to use. Have fun but talk to your doctor and be smart and in control of your body.