Seasonal Food To Eat In October

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

Everyone has had an experience where they get something from the grocery store and when they go home to eat, it isn’t as good as you remembered.  One of the reasons is because that produce wasn’t in season.  Here are some of the many different foods that your can find at your super market that will be in season and at the peak of their freshness.

1. Apples

Apples are a great fruit packed with phyto-nutrients and anti-oxidants.  They also are low in calories so they are the perfect health snack to bring with you to school and eat on campus.  Outside of school there are a ton of recipes you can find online like this one for mini caramel apples from www.mylitter.com 

2. Sweet Potatoes

These delicious starches are a great way to get some more vitamin A in your diet which can help improve eyesight and skin.  There are a bunch of fancy recipes for sweet potatoes but making them with this simple recipe from www.instructables.com for perfect over sweet potato fries.

3. Dates

They might not be the most commonly used food on this list but these little guy have a lot going for them.  Dates can help when you need an energy boost so putting them in a smoothie is a great afternoon pick-me-up.  Blend them together with milk, bananas, and peanut butter for a super filling snack or meal.

4. Broccoli

Most college students know already that broccoli is one of the easiest foods to make when you are trying to eat healthy.  Broccoli is full of vitamin C which is great for this time of year when everyone is getting sick.  Since it goes with everything one of the best ways to fit it in is to add it to your mac and cheese like they did on www.gimmesomeover.com

5. Pumpkin

There can’t be a list of October themed food without taking about pumpkins.  Much like sweet potatoes, they are loaded with vitamin A and super festive this time of year.  So for dessert make a pumpkin cake like this one from www.twopeasandtheirpod.com

I'm a student at WWU in Bellingham but born and raised in Seattle