jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

No Pressure Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

Remember when we were 8 years old and Valentine’s Day was as easy as buying a box of cards featuring our favorite cartoon characters to hand out in class? Unfortunately, things have changed as we’ve grown older and Valentine’s Day is now loaded with pressure and expectations that go beyond building your own Valentine’s mailbox to bring to school.

Fancy gifts, expensive flowers, and reservations at the nicest restaurant in town can really add up. Though going out on a fancy date is fun and romantic, there are other ways you can celebrate the love you have for your significant other if you are rolling on a budget or would rather skip out on all the works (just make sure you are both on the same page about it beforehand). By focusing on each other in simple ways rather than frantically trying to plan the perfect V-day, you are bound to conjure up romance and magic all on your own.

Words Can Go a Long Way

Take the time to handwrite a meaningful letter or poem to your partner that explains how important they are to you. Nothing feels more special than knowing you are loved.

Plan a Cozy Night In

Bypass the crazy restaurants and movie theaters (and save some $$$). Spend the evening cooking a meal together and watching your favorite movies from the comfort of your own home. You could even try building a cozy blanket fort in your living room.

Finally Do That Thing You’ve Been Wanting To Do Together

Being too busy is not an excuse on Valentine’s Day. Spend the day or night to doing that thing you and your significant other have wanted to do for a long time. Quality time spent doing new activities will make for a memorable day.

Pamper Each Other

Turn out the lights and turn on the romance. Connect and relax with your significant other by exchanging candlelit massages.

Explore Bellingham

If the weather abides, go on a day hike or visit one of the many beaches or outlooks in Bellingham. Take in the beautiful views and spend some one-on-one time together. If you can, catch the sunrise or sunset.

Bake Together

Who can resist a delicious batch of cookies or Valentine’s Day cupcakes? Baking can be both fun and a challenge. Take it on with your partner and reward yourselves with the delicious end result.

In the end, you know your partner best. Take the time to think about something you both can do that would be meaningful simply because of the fact that you are spending time together.

I am a junior at Western Washington University majoring in Communication Studies and minoring in Psychology. I am a country music addict, a Seahawks fan, a lover of animals, & I enjoy travelling.