Morgan Donahue: Ask me why SHE is Loved!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

Meet Morgan Donahue!

The other day, some religious protesters spent a majority of the day spreading negativity by telling people, “why they deserved Hell.”

While the reactions varied, the one that stood out the most was one made by a Western student named Morgan Donahue. She didn’t make a big fuss, she didn’t post anything about it, instead she counteracted the negativity by making a sign in response to that of the protesters.  Made with cardboard and markers, “Ask me why you are LOVED” was the positive message that radiated to the student body. Such courage, confidence, and general kindness was NOT something I was going to ignore. So with the help of YikYak and Facebook, I finally tracked this wonderful person down and got to know her!

Q. What drove you to making the sign? Could you describe the moment where in your mind you were like, “I need to do this.”

Earlier that day I was walking to class reflecting on my life the past couple weeks. I was thinking about times I had the opportunity to do something, such as reaching out to someone, and had neglected to follow through with it whether out of fear or pure laziness. I started telling God that I wanted to be someone who doesn’t just sit around and love Him, but someone who DOES things because they love him. I then prayed that the next time I was presented with an opportunity to be brave, that I would be provided with the strength to do so. After I had finished classes for the day, I saw the two men standing outside the library holding those signs that portray a God whom I do not know. I had always talked about wanting to stand with a sign next to them, but whenever the opportunity came I’d always think “I’ll just do it next time.” I stood with them for about twenty minutes and just listened as countless of people came up and tried to argue with the ridiculous things they were saying. Finally, a boy came out of the library with a white board. I asked him if I could borrow it but he said he needed to get to class. I immediately started brainstorming a way I could find a white board or something to hold up when my good friend Sarah asked the two men, “Why don’t you hold signs telling people that they’re loved?” and the two men replied “Why don’t you?” that was the moment I knew this was something that needed to happen.

Q. What kinds of reactions did you expect?

I honestly didn’t expect much. I thought people would overlook the 18 year old girl holding a little cardboard sign next to these older, louder, more known men. I also didn’t have time to think about what people would do. I was so focused on this cool opportunity God had placed in my lap and just hoped to make His love known.

Q. What kind did you get?

The reactions I got were insane. People were coming up to me and hugging me, taking pictures of me, supporting what I was doing. Even a priest came up and said “I stand with you.” The best part was that I just got to hang out as countless of people came up and asked me why they were loved. And I was honored to tell them.  

Q. What was a major takeaway you got from this? If there is any particular message you’d like to send through the student body pertaining to this issue what would it be?

The biggest thing I took away from this is that what I did was REALLY easy. It did not take much effort at all. All I did was tell people they were loved. What if we were all that bold?

More on Morgan:

Q. What year are you?

I am a freshman!

Q. What are you studying/dabbling/majoring in?

I’ve always wanted to do something with business, and have always thought of becoming something like an HR. However, I also volunteer with this organization known as Royal Family Kids which works with abused and neglected kids. I have a huge heart for this organization and would love to do something along the lines of social work as well. Right now the plan is to major in sociology and go wherever The Lord takes me.  

Q. What would you say is your favorite quality about yourself (can be physical or personality driven)

My favorite quality about myself is that I’m a doer. I love getting things done.

Q. What do you do for fun?

I love having fun and being a kid. Rollerblading, hammocking, camping. I’m involved with different ministries on campus and love surrounding myself with uplifting community.

Q. What words do you live by? Or in other words, what is your motto?

“Don’t forget the love story.” Is something I say to myself constantly.

I believe that the bible is the greatest love story of all time. I feel as if too often the bible is used to say “you’re a sinner and here’s proof” when it really should be used to say “you are loved, and here’s proof.”