Style > Beauty

Meet Rachael: The Big-Hearted Bagel Beauty on Campus!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

If you’ve ever been lucky enough to stop by Zoe’s Bookside Bagels during one of Rachael’s shifts, you probably remember the exuberant cashier with a big, unfaltering grin. Rachael stands out in Western’s community for her dedicated service, excitement for service, and radiant positivity. Two things are certain: Rachael makes an impression on everyone she meets, and there’s a lot more to this outstanding girl than bagels.

“I am a senior here at Western and I am currently working on a self- designed major through the Liberal Studies department entitled ‘Sexuality and Gender Studies.’ I am focusing on the development and history of human sexuality and gender within American culture. I am especially focused on sexually intimate relationships and how our ideas about sex play into our relationships.”

“I love to read fictional books and go to museums, specifically historical ones. In accordance with my major, I have a particular interest in sexual health and spend a lot of time researching and educating others on topics related to sex, sexual health, and good relationships.”

“Also, I love learning about different languages and cultures, and I can speak Japanese because I lived there when I was 16.”

“This is my second year at Zoe’s, and this quarter I mostly make coffee or work the cashier. But mostly I just do whatever I need to help out the rest of the team and keep customers happy!” 

“I grew up in the restaurant my parents owned and operated so I was raised in an environment where customer service was paramount. But outside of volunteering to serve food, working with Dining Services has been my first job in the food service industry”

“In addition, I am currently a volunteer with Prevention and Wellness services as a Peer Sexual Health Educator (PSHE). I have been trained to give confidential 1:1 sessions with students interested in taking charge of their sexual health. Mostly, as a PSHE I talk about STIs, Birth control, safer sex with barriers, and good communication strategies.”

“I needed a job when I transferred to Western and it was too late to apply to anything in student government (which is more my typical area) so I applied to Dining Services and was eventually placed at Zoe’s after working at another location on campus.”

“I expected it to be a fun, up-beat working environment and most of the time that expectation is met. I was surprised by just how busy Zoe’s can get. Often times, we have lines to the back of the room. Also, it can take a long time to be fully trained, which was a little hard to deal with because I like working with well-organized, efficient teams.”

“All of my co-workers are nice, hard-working people and I love seeing them outside of work or when I order food because it is nice to feel like part of a work family.”

“We get to tease each other and often have mini dance parties during work. I love the management team at Zoe’s. Kathleen and Lauren are incredibly supportive and are a joy to work with!”

“Mostly I smile because I know that people expect to see one, but also because I like seeing repeat customers.”

“I can tell that my being happy and up-beat has a positive effect on other people, and I like knowing that I made someone a little happier that day.”

Thanks for being your incredible self, Rachael!

Freshman at Western Washington University pursuing a Visual Journalism degree and as many adventures as possible. I love hammocking, writing, reading, smiling, coffee, ice cream, and popcorn.