This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

Halloween falls on a Monday this year, meaning Halloweekend is in full swing.  Make sure you stay safe when going out by exercising moderation in drinking and keeping an eye out for anybody else who many be in trouble.  Being able to recognize the signs of alcohol poisoning in yourself and others can decrease risk and help keep you and your friends safe.  Use this pneumonic to help you identify someone who may be in trouble, and take action by either cutting them off, taking their keys and helping them get home safely, or calling for medical attention if necessary.

Mental Confusion

Unresponsive

Snoring/ Gasping for Air

Throwing Up

Hypothermia

Erratic Breathing

Loss of Consciousness

Paleness/ Blueness of Skin

If the person is unconscious, has low breathing, or is vomiting, call 911 immediately.  Alcohol poisoning cannot be ‘slept off’, so even if the person is asleep they can still be in danger as alcohol continues to be released into their bloodstream.  If the person is conscious, you can call the Poison Control Center, where they will advise you on what actions you should take. 

Stay Safe, and Happy Halloween!

My name is Julia, and I'm currently a freshman at Western Washington University. I love hiking and the outdoors, and drinking way too much tea.