Your Guide to Galentine’s Day!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.
So, you’re single. 

You’re planning on a night of Valentine’s Day hating and bashing on other couples — perhaps throwing darts at a picture of your ex before ripping it up, going to Wal-Mart, buying a bunch of food, and hating yourself for the entire weekend. 

You are unjustifiably bummed.
Why are you not planning Galentine’s Day with the special women in your life?

WHAT? You’ve never heard of Galentine’s Day? 
Allow me to enlighten you, then.

A tradition started by Leslie Knope on Parks & Rec, Galentine’s Day is every February 13th. Boyfriends, husbands, significant others are left behind, ladies are celebrated… and also breakfast. Plenty of breakfast food. 

This year, Galentine’s Day falls on a Friday! February 13th avoids missing out on a Valentine’s Day date with your partner.

Think of all the things that make your man cringe. You wanna’ watch all of those tear-jerker flicks your partner shudders about, watch them on Galentine’s Day. 

You wish you could make a Build-a-Bear, even though you’re in college and your man thinks that is the dumbest kiddie store ever, go on Galentine’s Day. 

You want a mani/pedi or massage, go on Galentine’s Day. 

You wanna’ drown in chocolate? Galentine’s Day!

The only stipulation is breakfast food. You can make it, if you have access to a kitchen, or you can go out to Huddle House on 33 or Tudor’s by Wal-Mart, or you can spring for a trip up to Bridgeport/Clarksburg for IHOP, Bob Evans, Eat-n-Park, or Denny’s. 

If you want to take it really seriously, try and recreate one of the Parks & Rec Galentine’s Day episodes with your girlfriends.  

For reference on Galentine’s Day, you’re looking for Parks & Rec Season 2, Episode 16 “Galentine’s Day”, and Season 4, Episode 14 “Operation Ann”. 

Post a picture of the special ladies in your life on Galentine’s Day and share it with us on Twitter @HerCampusWVWC! 
2015 graduate, and part of the founding HerCampus WVWC team, Stephanie now works as a Technical Writer for a technology contractor in Bridgeport, WV. Stephanie married her husband, JR, in October 2014, and together they have one toddler girl who is stealing their hearts and sanity one day and one dumped bowl of crackers at a time.
A public relations major with a passion for social media, the arts, and all things Disney, writer Corinne Weaver hopes to bring some Her Campus flare to WVWC. Weaver performs with the WVWC Theatre and Dance department, is a sister of Alpha Delta Pi, and interned at the National Aquarium in the Summer of '14! This Co-Editor-In-Chief will always love her close-knit hometown of Oakland, Maryland, but looks forward to opportunities to branch out in the future. Follow her @CorinneWeaver4 on Twitter and Instagram!