jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Spring and Summer Blockbuster Films 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

As busy college students, we have a hard time taking the time to just relax, catch our breath and watch a movie. We finally learn to let ourselves loosen up with time, and with that time comes free time. For those moments of clam, here’s a list of the new and exciting movies coming to the big screen this year.

This month:

Side Effects
This new thriller starring Channing Tatum, Jude Law and Catherin Zeta-Jones is sure to keep you on the edge of your seat, wondering what will happen next.

Safe Haven
The newest of the movies based on Nicholas Sparks novels, Safe Haven stars Josh Duhamel and Cobie Smulders. This is a great date movie for Valentine’s Day or for a girl’s night out.

A Good Day to Die Hard
The newest movie in the Die Hard series stars Bruce Willis and Jai Courtney. This one is sure to excite the action fan in all of us, and it’s a great alternative movie for those who don’t want to watch a sappy romance flick on Valentine’s Day.

Escape from Planet Earth
Starring the voices of Brendan Fraser, Jessica Alba and Sara Jessica Parker, this animated comedy will have you laughing in no time.

March: 

Jack the Giant Killer
This is a remake of the classic fairytale Jack and the Beanstalk. It will be fun seeing this new take on the fractured fairytale. Nicholas Hoult and Stanley Tucci star in this film.

Oz: The Great and Powerful
In this prequel to The Wizard of Oz, starring James Franco, Mila Kunis and Michelle Williams, we see the professor on his journey to becoming Oz.

G.I. Joe: Retaliation
In this sequel to G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra, we see Channing Tatum and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson in their next action-packed adventure.

Tyler Perry’s Temptation
Tyler Perry’s latest movie stars Jurnee Smollett, a woman who tries to resist the tempting Robbie Jones.

The Host
We see actors Saoirse Ronan and Max Irons in this new take on an alien invasion. This film is based on the best-selling novel by Stephenie Meyer.

April & May:

Jurassic Park 3D
They’re re-releasing this classic thriller movie to be seen in 3D for the first time.

Scary Movie 5
We see familiar faces in the latest Scary Movie, such as Ashley Tisdale, Lindsey Lohan and Charlie Sheen. Just as with the other Scary Movies, Scary Movie 5 is sure to both scare and delight you, leaving you in stitches.

Iron Man 3
All the familiar faces are back for the latest installment in the Iron Man series. This is the first movie to come out since the Avengers movie, and it should be interesting to see where the writers take the characters from there.

The Great Gatsby
In this adaption of the classic novel, we see Leonardo DiCaprio, Toby Maguire and Carey Mulligan in a love triangle that has captivated audiences for generations upon generations.

Star Trek: Into Darkness
In this sequel to the 2009 Star Trek movie, we see Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto battle the bad guy Benedict Cumberbatch as the fearless Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock duo.

Fast and Furious 6
In the latest installment in the Fast & Furious series, we see Vin Diesel and the gang trying to outrun policeman Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson through the streets of Europe, among many other action-packed scenes.

The Hangover Part 3
The boys are back, and they still haven’t stopped drinking in this newest installment in the Hangover series.

Also look out for summer blockbuster hits like After Earth, Much Ado about Nothing, Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters, The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, World War Z, Kick Ass 2, Despicable Me 2, Grown Ups 2, The Wolverine, The Smurfs 2 and Insidious Chapter 2. This seems to be the year of the movie! What will you watch?