RLCG: How to Handle Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Holidays and family gatherings mean many things: good food, good times, good people—but of course there can be complications to your Thanksgiving break, like scheduling issues and handling the most daunting questions from your relatives! Read on for tips that will help you make this Thanksgiving break the best!

“How do you manage your time over break to get all of your homework done, visit with friends and family and still have fun?”

Sincerely, Lots to Do

Dear Lots to Do,

Sometimes a break doesn’t seem like a break at all; it seems more like constantly running around and still trying to get work done, right? The best thing I can advise you to do is to plan ahead. You should try to schedule out all of your homework around your family and friend time because we all know that time is much needed. I think it’s important to clear out the whole day of Thanksgiving (if possible) to spend time with your family and friends. Maybe you can try to get your homework done early in the week so that you don’t have to worry about it for the rest of the break. And, if all else fails, there’s always that Sunday night when you get back to school for getting some last minute work done!

“How do I answer the annoying questions from my family about my love life (or lack thereof) at Thanksgiving dinner?”

Sincerely, Awkward Love Life

Dear Awkward Love Life,

Don’t you just love those questions from your relatives about your love life? I promise that your family means well by asking, or maybe they’re just a little nosey. Answering these types of questions can be hard, especially in our generation because sometimes your relationship is up in the air. The best thing to do is be honest without being too detailed. You don’t want to lie to your family, but you also don’t want to announce all of your relationship business at Thanksgiving dinner. If you don’t have a significant other, a good way to respond would be, “I’m waiting for someone who is worth my time” or, “I’m really focusing on my studies right now.” Real adults love mature answers and it will spare you from having to go into further details. If you have a relationship “in the works,” you could try saying something along the lines of, “I’m taking my time and really getting to know this person before we get serious.” Another mature answer without telling them you’ve been in the “talking” stage for months and you’re not really sure with where it’s going. Regardless of your relationship stage remember to keep it real, but also remember not to spill all your beans, or turkey for that matter.

That’s all for this week, collegiettes! Make sure to tweet or direct message me your questions for a chance to be featured in the next article! Have a great Thanksgiving!

Maty recently graduated Summa Cum Laude from West Virginia Wesleyan College (WVWC), and she couldn’t be more excited to return to the Her Campus family as a member of the Community Team.  Maty’s passion for writing has guided her through most of her adult life, and it eventually brought her to to the Her Campus Chapter Network as a Style Blogger for Her Campus WVWC. Maty would go on to become Campus Correspondent of her chapter, as well as an intern for Her Campus National and a Chapter Advisor.  Through her different roles at HC, Maty quickly fell in love with the mission and purpose of the Her Campus Chapter Network—and in her new role, Maty has the rare and coveted opportunity to do what she loves on a daily basis by working with a growing network of 360+ college chapters.    When Maty isn’t at the office, she’s usually out exploring, cooking some random recipe she found on Pinterest, or cuddling with her adorable corgi, Winnie.  Follow Maty on Twitter and Instagram !