Remember to Relax

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Whenever I have a boring class, I tend to use that time to do other things that are more beneficial (e.g., writing, playing tic-tac-toe with the guy next to me, doing my Theory homework). The other day, I took the time to micromanage myself, and I later realized that I actually enjoy this planning period.

Normally, I do not make time for relaxation, but I made sure to pencil it in to my schedule because it is necessary for survival. Whatever you have going on in your life—presentations, tests, or other forms of cruel and unusual punishment—be sure to take time during your day and relax. Even if it is for five minutes every hour, just do it; you’ll notice a difference in your productivity during the other fifty-five minutes in the hour.

Realize that people understand you are busy. As a student, a part-time waitress, an officer of Student Senate, a blogger for Her Campus, a student worker in the Writing Center, and a Resident Assistant. Relax. You do not have to stop your whole life because of others’ high expectations. People will tell you what to do from all angles of your life, but it is your decisions to say “yes” or “no.” Sometimes you have to say no.
Don’t stretch yourself too thin. You mustn’t put more on your plate than you’re able to handle. You will wear yourself out. It isn’t healthy. Despite feeling like you have to stretch yourself thin in order to measure up to others, don’t. Take power over your life, and make decisions that are right for you. You decide whether to stress yourself out or not. Just because your sorority sister asks you to help her study doesn’t mean that you always can, especially when you have your own work to balance. Just because your boss wants more out of you doesn’t mean you can’t level with him and explain that, right now, you could use some help and leniency.

Some stressors are unavoidable. They are part of the rhythms of your song, the waves in your ocean. The way you react to these unavoidable stressors is your decision. To avoid them, you would have to lock yourself in a room and never come out, and that would lead to another set of unavoidable stressors (e.g., hunger, thirst, personal hygiene). No matter what, you will never avoid all stress, but you can choose how to handle it. You can make the best of it and learn for the next time it comes back around.
With all of this said, take time to relax. Read a book, or watch some television. Take a shameless nap, eat something delicious, or take a walk with a friend. Grab a piece of Double Bubble and, as your bubble gets bigger, imagine you’ve put all of your worries and stress into it. When it pops, your troubles are gone!

The best way to start this process is by taking a deep breath in and letting it go. Breathe in (1-2-3-4-5 seconds), and let it go (1-2-3-4-5 seconds). Repeat as necessary.

2015 graduate, and part of the founding HerCampus WVWC team, Stephanie now works as a Technical Writer for a technology contractor in Bridgeport, WV. Stephanie married her husband, JR, in October 2014, and together they have one toddler girl who is stealing their hearts and sanity one day and one dumped bowl of crackers at a time.