Relaxation Methods of an Overwhelmed College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

The all-nighters, the endless homework, the papers, the after class activates, the boss calling… as a college student it is hard not to have those days (or weeks…or months…) when you feel overwhelmed. It’s completely natural to feel stress while in college, but how to do manage stress when you have no time to relax?

First off, know that it is possible, I promise you. Are their going to be days that are more packed than others? Yes, of course, but most of the time, you can find a quick 10-30 minute break in your day to take care of yourself. Here are some tips to help you find moments to relax in your bust schedule:

• Take a nap – if you are pulling all-nighters, try to find time to get in some sleep, as long as it’s not in class!
  • Plan your meals with friends – if your social time is suffering because of your studies, let your food breaks be your time to see your friends!
  • Call your family/friends from home – vent to them or ask about what is going on at home to get your mind off of feeling stressed.
  • Keep on top of your schoolwork – nothing feels worse than being behind and trying to catch up.
  • Take a longer shower – giving yourself a little more time to relax in the warm water feels great to the muscles.
  • Take up yoga or meditation – see if your campus offers classes.
  • Listen to your favorite music – even make yourself a motivational playlist for the days that you really need a pick-me-up.
  • Get off campus – whether it’s to go to eat, for a movie, or for an outing, a change of scenery can do wonders.
  • Find a moment of quiet – even if you are a social person, finding a place just to breathe and meditate away from your daily schedule may be just what you need to recharge.

Just remember, while college is demanding, you have to keep your priorities in mind!

I am adopted from Russia and was raised in West Virginia. I am a double major in English (Writing Concentration) and Musical Theatre. I love art in many different forms be it writing, singing, acting, drawing/painting, or design. I adore fashion and it has helped me become the person that I want to be in life. I am a very open person and love talking to people, so feel free to ask me anything! I am honored to be a part of the Her Campus team and I hope that my writing will bring you a smile. If I'm not in the theater or typing up my version of the great American fashion column, you can always hear me coming from the click of my heels. My advice to all: Stay classy!
Just a small town girl living in an even smaller college town. I'm an Accounting major at WVWC in hopes of someday going to law school. I enjoy coffee, jumping in puddles, & petting the locals' dogs when they take them for walks on campus.