This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

This week’s Campus Celebrity is none other than… Maya Eberhart!

Q: What year are you and what is your major?

A: I am freshman here at Wesleyan and I am currently majoring in theatre. By November, I’ll be double majoring in theatre and communication studies.

Q: Where are you from and why did you decide to come to Wesleyan?

A: I’m from Brooklyn, N.Y. and it wasn’t me who found this school, but my grandmother. I guess she stumbled upon a flyer in her cluster of mail that was advertising this school. I thought, why would I ever go to West Virginia for college? I don’t know anyone out there. Somehow, I still found myself in the car driving eight hours to audition for the theatre program. As I entered this small town, I despised it immediately. I hadn’t seen any form of public transportation, tall buildings, a mall nearby or eccentrically dressed individuals walking down the street. This was not an ideal place for a city girl. You know that feeling you get when you just know something is going to go your way, whether it’s acing a job, interview or passing an exam? Well, when I walked out of the audition, I just knew I performed well enough to be accepted into West Virginia Wesleyan College. Coming to this school may have been the best thing that’s happened to me so far. Without an open mind and positive attitude, I wouldn’t be here and I wouldn’t think that everyone should be open to new things. 

Q: What organizations are you involved in on campus? Do you hold any positions in those organizations?

A: I would love to involve myself in some organizations on campus, but I’m tied up in preparation for the upcoming Shakespeare showcase of A Midsummer Night’s Dream. I dedicate my time to going to the Buckhannon Academy Elementary School throughout the week where I work as a teacher’s assistant, rehearse four days a week from 7:30-10:30 p.m., complete homework assignments and somehow make time to be a social butterfly.

Q: What do you like most about Wesleyan?

A: Wesleyan gives me this commutative vibe and it reminds me of how close my musical theatre family was and still is. This school doesn’t have an overwhelming amount of students in attendance, and therefore, I feel comfortable. I’d like to look at myself as a big fish in a small pond here at Wesleyan. From the faculty to the students, everyone seems welcoming and willing to get to know one another. I see now why the alumni visit campus so often and why they gleam with joy about this college.

Q: What are you looking forward to this year as a whole?

A: I’m looking forward to a lively, educating experience for this year and the next four years here. My first spring break as a college student will be interesting because I’ll be visiting Cuba and I think this trip will definitely inspire me to study abroad. I’m looking into going to London to continue my studies during my senior year. All in all, I’ve learned so much about this history of this school, people on campus and the overall culture of West Virginians. People may overlook this school, but this small liberal arts college has so much to offer.

Maty recently graduated Summa Cum Laude from West Virginia Wesleyan College (WVWC), and she couldn’t be more excited to return to the Her Campus family as a member of the Community Team.  Maty’s passion for writing has guided her through most of her adult life, and it eventually brought her to to the Her Campus Chapter Network as a Style Blogger for Her Campus WVWC. Maty would go on to become Campus Correspondent of her chapter, as well as an intern for Her Campus National and a Chapter Advisor.  Through her different roles at HC, Maty quickly fell in love with the mission and purpose of the Her Campus Chapter Network—and in her new role, Maty has the rare and coveted opportunity to do what she loves on a daily basis by working with a growing network of 360+ college chapters.    When Maty isn’t at the office, she’s usually out exploring, cooking some random recipe she found on Pinterest, or cuddling with her adorable corgi, Winnie.  Follow Maty on Twitter and Instagram !