How to Set Fitness Goals and Stick to Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

One of the hardest parts of fitness is actually sticking to your goals. Most of us set goals that are too broad, too specific or even too ambitious. This makes it hard for us to stick to our goals and keep in a positive mindset. Here are a few tips to help you set a goal and keep to it! 

1. Use the SMART system. The SMART system is a way to make sure that your goal is reasonable. It stands for specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and time-oriented. By setting a goal that sticks to this guideline, you are more likely to stick to that goal. So, if your goal is to get a beach bod by March, this will likely be unreasonable and will not be a measurable goal. If your goal is to work out three times a week doing cardio and strength training to lose one pound per week for 15 weeks in order to attain a beach body, then that is a goal that will stick to this form.

2. Be reasonable. If you have a bad week, don’t throw in the towel. Remember that you set these goals for yourself for a reason. If you failed a test in class, you wouldn’t just stop going to class; you would work harder to get a better grade on the next test. That is how you have to think about your fitness goals, too. You need to keep going and show yourself that you can do anything that you put your mind to!

3. Go with a friend. One of the best ways to stick to a goal is to be held accountable by another person. Your friends can help you and motivate you to keep pushing toward your goals. Maybe they have the same goal as you! Then, each of you will hold each other up through the process and make sure that each of you reach your goals together.

4. Set tiny goals within your bigger goals. If your goal is to have your beach bod, make sure to set small goals and work up. Lose one pound as a goal, lose three pounds as a goal, go to the gym three times a week and mark them off on your calendar. The faster that you see that you are making progress and steps, the more likely you are to stick to your larger goal.

Have a good week and get your sweat on. I’ll see you there!

Living life will only inspire your work.
Maty recently graduated Summa Cum Laude from West Virginia Wesleyan College (WVWC), and she couldn’t be more excited to return to the Her Campus family as a member of the Community Team.  Maty’s passion for writing has guided her through most of her adult life, and it eventually brought her to to the Her Campus Chapter Network as a Style Blogger for Her Campus WVWC. Maty would go on to become Campus Correspondent of her chapter, as well as an intern for Her Campus National and a Chapter Advisor.  Through her different roles at HC, Maty quickly fell in love with the mission and purpose of the Her Campus Chapter Network—and in her new role, Maty has the rare and coveted opportunity to do what she loves on a daily basis by working with a growing network of 360+ college chapters.    When Maty isn’t at the office, she’s usually out exploring, cooking some random recipe she found on Pinterest, or cuddling with her adorable corgi, Winnie.  Follow Maty on Twitter and Instagram !