There’s not much that compares to the combination of anxiety, excitement, and stomach churning that appear on a first date. We plan; we overthink what we are going to say, do, and of course– what we are going to wear.
But what does one wear on a first date these days? It can be hard to decide, especially when we tend to overthink everything, but it doesn’t have to be as nerve-racking as it seems.
- Dress for the location. There’s no need to wear a cocktail dress if you are just going out for coffee. For most first dates, it is said that men tend to prefer snappy casual. It makes women seem less intimidating and more approachable.
- If the location is a mystery, pants are a better option than a skirt. If you don’t know if you are going for a walk in the park or to a skate park, it is always better to dress in something that makes you feel great, but that you can move in. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Be cautious of your footwear. If you can’t walk normally in heels, don’t wear them just to impress him. He is sure to have a better impression of you if you are not falling and twisting your ankle five seconds into the date.
- Remember, he is just as nervous as you are. So, cut him a little bit of slack if he doesn’t show up in a full suit and tie for the first date.
- Don’t wear loads of makeup. While we love our makeup, it has actually been shown that men can be put off by women who cake on layers. It makes men focus more on what the women might look like underneath the layers and it distracts him from focusing on what he sees at the moment—and no one likes a distracted date!
- For a bit of a conversation starter, try wearing something a little quirky! A fun, small accessory like a piece of jewelry or a scarf with a fun print is eye catching, and it shows your sense of humor, therefore, making him more likely to open up with conversation.
- Finally, please remember to leave something to the imagination, ladies. Don’t get me wrong, we want to look hot, but make him work to see what you’ve got. I normally say to pick one feature to accent. So, as an example, if you have gorgeous legs, show them off, but keep the chest tastefully covered. If you like to bare your midriff, maybe opt for sleeves and some well-fitted jeggings to balance out the amount of skin you show.
With these tips, we wish you luck with that special someone and we hope to hear from you after you score that second date!
Stay Classy, Ladies!