Finding the Cute Within the Casual

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Let’s face it: with the early morning classes, late evening studying, and numerous time consuming activities, we all could use a look that is easy and low maintenance that still leaves us feeling great about ourselves.  But where can we find the “cute” within the “casual” looks we all love? In simple terms, it’s all about balance and committing to a simplistic, yet fun look.

First off, there’s a fine line between having a casual look and a sloppy look. The difference comes in the fit of your clothes. Clothes don’t have to be skin tight to be acceptable, but it is also nice to embrace your own beautiful shape. For a comfortable, casual look, it is recommended that one part of your outfit be fitted. It your top is lose and flowy, try pairing it with a nice pair of fitted jeans, pants or even leggings. This way, a part of your figure can be seen to prevent your less-fitted clothes from making you appear shapeless or “boxy.” When you plan out how your outfit will fit on your body, you commit to a whole “look”, rather than just pieces of clothing without any cohesiveness.

If you ever want to spice up a casual outfit, try a fitted jacket over a flowy top or a T-shirt. You can never go wrong with a classic jean jacket or a classy blazer. By doing this, you can have all the comfort of a T-shirt with all the structure of a jacket.

If you are going for a casual look, nothing is cuter than showing your personality through your clothes. Whether it is a T-shirt advertising a band, show or funny saying you love, make a statement with your clothing! In this way, your outfit can become a topic of conversation and a way to show off something that makes you happy!

While I will admit that they are the definition of comfy, the fact of the matter is, sweatpants cross the line into sloppy style. Think of it this way, if you dress like you are relaxing or tired, you are going to feel tired or you may even begin to resent the work you have to do for the day. Dressing a least a little more professional can make you feel more engaged. Because they are shapeless and have no structure, save them for the gym or for relaxing at home after a long day. 

So who says style has to be high maintenance? With these simple ideas, you can rock your casual style and feel incredible about yourself, no matter what your busy day throws your way!

Stay Classy, Ladies!

Photos: 

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/db/55/c9/db55c9f699540a7ae538ed36bea088e9.jpg

I am adopted from Russia and was raised in West Virginia. I am a double major in English (Writing Concentration) and Musical Theatre. I love art in many different forms be it writing, singing, acting, drawing/painting, or design. I adore fashion and it has helped me become the person that I want to be in life. I am a very open person and love talking to people, so feel free to ask me anything! I am honored to be a part of the Her Campus team and I hope that my writing will bring you a smile. If I'm not in the theater or typing up my version of the great American fashion column, you can always hear me coming from the click of my heels. My advice to all: Stay classy!
Just a small town girl living in an even smaller college town. I'm an Accounting major at WVWC in hopes of someday going to law school. I enjoy coffee, jumping in puddles, & petting the locals' dogs when they take them for walks on campus.