Emma Turner ’14: President of Alpha Delta Pi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

For junior Emma Turner, picking a sorority was relative.

“I joined Alpha Delta Pi because my sister Kate was an ADPi during her collegiate years at Wesleyan,” Turner said.  “Through her I met so many wonderful ADPi’s at Wesleyan and I got to see all the good work they did on campus and at the Ronald McDonald House.  I saw how nice and fun they all were, and I found that they were some of the most down-to-earth people I had ever met.”

Turner, 21, of Lake Floyd, W.Va., is a psychology major with a minor in gender studies.  She joined Alpha Delta Pi in 2011, during the spring semester of her first year at Wesleyan.  Since then, she has held two positions within the chapter, Alumnae Relations Chair and Recruitment Vice President.  Beginning this semester, she will hold the sorority’s highest office as President.

“I ran for president because I am highly passionate about my sorority and its success on our campus and in our community,” Turner said.  “I have always seen myself as a leader in many different ways, one that makes big and small impacts.  After attending an ADPi leadership seminar last summer, my goal of becoming president and making a big impact was solidified.”

As president, Turner knows that there will be both ups and downs, as with any organization.  Her hopes, however, are high for the future, noting that unity is her key goal throughout her term. 

“The biggest hope I have for my chapter in the upcoming year is that we stay united as a sisterhood, do more things on our campus, and that we have fun while doing it,” Turner said.  “I think it is especially important to make sure all sisters are having a good time, no matter what we are doing, because it energizes sisters for future events and when things get stressful.”

As for fears and roadblocks, Turner acknowledges that she will face these as well.  Rather than dwelling on potential problems, she realizes that an organization is only as good as its members.  Turner says her focus is always on others, a sign of a truly successful leader.

“My biggest fear for my presidential term is that, for some reason, I will not able to do everything I can to help my sisters, or that I am not able to make things run smoothly,” Turner said.  “I never want a sister to feel that she cannot come to me with her problems or concerns.”

Despite the stress and time-consuming nature of the position, Turner has big goals for the upcoming year for her chapter, including another President’s Cup win and continued service with the Ronald McDonald House, Alpha Delta Pi’s national philanthropy.  Her attitude about leadership is obvious: do the best job possible, for her sisters more than for herself.

“I want each and every sister to know that they are part of a chapter that can achieve its goals, all while doing good things for others,” Turner said.

With Turner as president, good things will continue to come for Alpha Delta Pi.