mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

EMILY’s List: Did You Know About This?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

EMILY’s List was a way to help women get into office, and make sure that they were able to get seats in the government. It required women to be preselected in 35% of winnable seats at all elections by 2002. It aims to help elect pro-choice Democratic female candidates to office. 

EMILY stands for “Early Money Is Like Yeast,” meaning that getting early donations helps to get later ones. It was founded in 1985, when 25 women met in the home of Ellen Malcolm. Emily’s List has over 3 million members and have over 800 election victories. 

EMILY’s List is committed to driving progressive change throughout our country by winning elections that put pro-choice Democratic women into office. The goals are to not participate but lead, remember why change matters, and to respect the past and change the future. Emily’s List was a PAC during the 2014 election. As of December 31, 2014, the committee raised a total of $42.6 million and spent a total of $43 million. 

It is a pro-choice democratic organization that creates leadership roles for women who stand for the organization. As of 2014 there is no money being spent on lobbying. Legislation has been for child safety, equal pay and increased women in the workforce. Others include:food safety, clean air, Title IX, increasing minimum wage, improve conditions for veterans, access to women’s healthcare, and provide support for low income families. 

Strengths of Emily’s List is that it is one of the largest PACs. Funds only pro-choice democratic women. On this front, EMILY’s List has built an impressive record since its founding in 1985, when no democratic woman had been elected to the Senate in her own right. It also built a network of donors. A weakness is that it only funds democratic, pro-choice, women and not even liberal males. 

This is Emily’s List. There are many things that went into it and many things that were taken out of it to help make some things better in the world. 

I am an Educational Studies major, with a Music minor, from Weston, West Virginia. I love reading, drawing, playing instruments, twirling, and making crafts. A fun fact about me is that I have lived in 4 states and 5 houses. Alumn
My name is Gabriella Sayger, but everyone calls me Gabby! I am a sophomore majoring in English and still deciding on minors! I am destined for law school! I play golf, my favorite book is "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen, and I love Sushi! I'm hoping for an amazing year! Go Bobcats!