David Russell ’14: Wesleyan’s Musical Genius

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

David Russell isn’t your average chemistry major.  He actually chose Wesleyan because of its musical qualities.

“The music building and the chapel sold me,” David said. “I fell in love with those pianos from the first note I played on them.”

Despite his love for math and sciences, David is truly famous for his music. His YouTube channel used to serve as his “personal diary,” but, according to him, it’s become something where he posts new music  he’s been working on, such as piano transcriptions, arrangements, remixes and the like.

“This past summer, I’ve become heavily involved with the YouTube musicians community,” he said. “I’m actually working on a rather important secret project that I began last year. Kingdom Hearts fans, keep your eyes on September!” David also started working for Lindsey Sterling, a famous violinist, during his sophomore year of college.

All musical endeavors aside, David has done several other truly unique things on campus.  He made a “National Treasure-esque scavenger hunt by hiding clues in various secret places around the school,” and he was the filmmaker for Wesleyan’s YouTube video that went viral last year.

Academically speaking, David reports that one of his greatest accomplishments includes “presenting hematopoietic research work at WVAS.” Going into his senior year, he hopes that, after Wesleyan, he’ll get his doctorate degree in physical chemistry.

“I would like to use my studies to help develop an alternative method of data storage and transfer,” David says. “While that’s going on, I want to continue my self-studies in music and work on figuring out the finer points of composition, because, ultimately, it’d be so cool if I would become a film composer.”

With all of his unique abilities, David Russell is certainly someone to keep your eye on!

A Writing and Gender Studies Major, Alpha Gamma Delta sister, and 4Her.