Coach Gary Nottingham

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Prior to coming to West Virginia Wesleyan College, Gary Nottingham gained the coaching experience he thrived to for by working at many different colleges nation wide.  He first went to college at Western Kentucky University to major in Physical Education. Nottingham continued his education to earn a Master degree at Glenville State College.  After he graduated, he became an assistant basketball coach at Glenville State almost instantaneously.  He did not stop there, however, a few years later at the age of 26, he was promoted to the head position and given the title as the youngest head coach at any four year college in the United States in 1983.  Nottingham left Glenville to work at University of South Carolina Upstate until he was offered a job to be an assistant coach at the University of Illinois, where he stayed for about ten years.  Nottingham recently transferred to our very own WVWC. 

Gone from his home state for about eighteen years, Gary came back to West Virginia, to be the head basketball coach where is daughter is currently enrolled. Nottingham joined the Wesleyan community in hopes of influencing his players much like his coaches who influenced him.  According to Nottingham, he not only had become a better basketball player because of the men who gave him the inspiration to continue on with his dream, but he became a better man; something he hopes for everyone to gain throughout their college experience. 

Coach Nottingham is already thinking about this upcoming season and has a plan to prepare his team.

“Conditioning the team both mentally and physically and using the talent they already have to better execute the game, “said Nottingham as he focuses on preseason workouts.

He continues stating that it is very important to have a hardworking team and support. So, come support Gary Nottingham and the basketball team and show some bobcat love at the first exhibition game on November 2.

West Virginia Wesleyan College, English Writing and Communications major.