Brittany Johnk ’14: WE LEAD Coordinator

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

It is hard to find anyone on Wesleyan’s campus who is busier than Brittany Johnk.

Johnk, a junior English and sociology major from Parkersburg, W.Va., is involved in nearly everything on campus. She’s a Wesleyan Service Scholar, on the LEAP Student Advisory Board, a member of the Honors Program, a sister of Alpha Gamma Delta, and, perhaps most notably, is a vital part of Wesleyan Engaging Leaders through Education, Awareness and Development (WE LEAD).

Johnk is one of three WE LEAD Coordinators. She plays a major role in keeping the organization functioning.

“I am responsible for acting as a liaison and resource for two issues teams, as well as leading weekly WE LEAD meetings,” Johnk says. “I am also the founder and student coordinator of Decisions & Opportunities Impact Tomorrow (DO IT), a mentoring program I’ve started at Buckhannon-Upshur Middle School.”

But what exactly is WE LEAD? The posters and events are publicized all over campus, but other than a vague knowledge of leadership and service, little is known about the organization and the Center for Community Engagement to those who aren’t already involved.

According to Johnk, WE LEAD is a peer-led service and leadership organization that focuses on social justice. It has 7 issue teams: Animal Welfare, Annual Events, Appalachian Experience, Children & Youth, Eco/Sustainability, Health & Wellness, and Social Justice. Students are able to serve as a member of any of these teams, or they can be an issue team leader. You can also create your own issue team if you are especially interested in a topic.

Johnk has always had the drive and motivation to help others, something that she knew she wanted to continue in college.

“Service has been part of my life for as long as I can remember,” Johnk says. “I love having the opportunity to serve others and give back to those who are less fortunate. When I see injustice in the world, I can’t help but try and address the issue, even if it’s in a small way.”

Besides her work with WE LEAD, Johnk served as Alpha Gamma Delta’s philanthropy chair, successfully organizing a bingo that raised over $2,000 for the sorority’s philanthropy, the Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation, which helps raise awareness for juvenile diabetes. She has also spent time in Zambia and Nicaragua doing mission work.

It is clear to everyone that knows Johnk that she has always done, and will continue to do, great works for the world and people around her. Though she may be small in stature, the size of her heart is huge.

“Although being involved on campus consumes nearly all of my free time, my experiences at Wesleyan have been invaluable,” she says. “I have had the opportunity to meet and build relationships with a variety of people. Because of my involvement, I have grown as a leader and as an individual. My campus involvement has helped me to create a career plan, develop my values and learn to understand other people and cultures.”

Luckily for Johnk, the skills and talents that she’s gained while at college will go with her throughout her life and will help her succeed. For her, Wesleyan is only the beginning of a bright and shining future – one that would not have had such a stellar beginning if not for the dedication and hard work she puts into everything that she does.