6 Fun Places to Run Outside

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Spring has finally arrived, and the snow appears to have melted for good!

Now that the weather is warming up you can get off of that treadmill in the gym and see something other than walls while you run.

Here are some new places to reenergize your daily runs:

The Park

Parks are a great place to run, because typically there are others around you.

Seeing new faces each day makes running refreshing and saying hello as you pass by someone can increase your mood while you run.

Trails

Trails are always popular running spots because they typically vary in intensity level.

Trail running can provide new opportunities for growth as you run and can help you change up your daily routine so you don’t get stuck in a rut.

The River Walk, located by the baseball and soccer fields, is a Welsyean favorite for it’s proximity to campus and views of the water!

Into the Woods

Running in the woods can be peaceful and mind-opening.

Your journey may be a little more strenous if there isn’t a clear path or the terrain is more varied, so consider this a cross-country jog.

Be sure you are familiar with the area so you don’t get lost, and choose to run with a group. There’s safety in numbers!

The Track

Track running isn’t for everyone, but on a rainy day, tracks are the best way to keep your shoes clean and in good condition.

Tracks also offer a definite idea of distance traveled so your mind doesn’t have to wonder how accurate your mileage was for the day.

The WVWC Track was just re-finished this year, to be easier on your joints and more suited for running, so give it a try on the next sunny day!

Neighborhoods

Running in neighborhoods is sort of like running in parks.

You typically get to see something new and meet someone new every day.

Just make sure the neighborhood is a safe, has proper sidewalks for pedestrians, and that you wear bright colors or reflectors.

Campus

Running on campus is a safe way to get in some cardio. You have sidewalks away from traffic, you are around people you know, and you don’t have to go far from where you are living.

Plus, our campus is a beautiful place!

While there aren’t sidewalks around the entire perimeter, you can follow them most of the way around campus or take a more challenging route between buildings. Just leave space for your friends walking to class!

So now that you can finally break away from the chains of machine running, get outside and find some new territory to cover!

Have a favorite spot to run outside at school? Tweet us a picture @HerCampusWVWC!

A public relations major with a passion for social media, the arts, and all things Disney, writer Corinne Weaver hopes to bring some Her Campus flare to WVWC. Weaver performs with the WVWC Theatre and Dance department, is a sister of Alpha Delta Pi, and interned at the National Aquarium in the Summer of '14! This Co-Editor-In-Chief will always love her close-knit hometown of Oakland, Maryland, but looks forward to opportunities to branch out in the future. Follow her @CorinneWeaver4 on Twitter and Instagram!