This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Social networks went wild last Tuesday night after an outrageous video was broadcasted all over the Internet. West Virginia University students were put on blast with their irresponsible behavior over the St. Patrick’s Day weekend celebration.

A film company “I’m Shmacked” captured the holiday’s mayhem, but in a way that portrayed WVU’s stereotypical reputation: a party school.

According to Princeton Review’s Top Ten Party Schools for 2011, West Virginia University took the number four spot. This annual ranking is a typical chart to base the partying scenario, until “I’m Shmacked.”

The broadcast portrayed the campus in an extreme way.

It showed how the streets were covered in chaos. University Avenue, High Street, College Avenue and more were filled people: students, alumni, commuters, friends and family. The streets were also covered in broken glass, half full beer cans, smashed solo cups and other random trash.

The film company’s recorded representation of WVU frustrated many. A ton of irresponsible behaviors were shown, such as starting fires and disrespecting police officials.

According to the Daily Anthenaeum, Morgantown Police Chief Ed Preston said that more than 40 people were cited with alcohol violations and at least 10 people were arrested. Also, University Police and Morgantown’s Fire Department were called to 36 fires on Saturday night.

The recorded chaos remains a Twitter trend. The #imshmackedwvu hash tag has students excited to broadcast the unacceptable behavior, while still upsetting several people with embarrassment.

“I am proud to be a Mountaineer and I even celebrated with my friends for St. Patty’s Day, but the video makes our school look trashy,” said Cali Crouse, WVU senior. “I am afraid of what our elders, like our parents, are going to think when the video captures their eyes.”

An email was even sent to all students about the terrible actions from the WVU Vice President of Student Affairs, Kenneth Gray.

Gray wrote, “Throwing objects at officers or their vehicles, setting trash bin fires, underage drinking, and violating open container laws will result in criminal convictions for some students as well as disciplinary actions for others, including expulsion, if the situation warrants.”

On the other hand, many “I’m Shmacked” viewers were thrilled with the result of the video.

“This video is for all my friends and family who have b*t*h*d out on visiting me at school the past two years, if this doesn’t persuade them I don’t know what will,” said Michael Milburn, WVU senior.

Debates are arising all over the Internet, and most likely will continue because an issue of a school’s reputation is huge. The ‘party school’ reputation needs to retire and give students a chance to mature.

West Virginia University deserves to be remembered for the thrilling sports, academic excellence, welcoming faculty, and amazing school spirit.

Rachel is a junior at West Virginia University and a direct-admit to the P.I. Reed School of Journalism, majoring in public relations with a minor in dance. She is the treasurer of the WVU chapter of Public Relations Student Society of America and a member of the WVU Dance Ensemble. Rachel is currently an intern with the Morgantown Area Chamber of Commerce, where she single-handedly designs, writes and edits the monthly newsletter. She also works part-time at Guess. Writing, dancing and fashion are all passions of Rachel’s. In her free time, she enjoys getting coffee, shopping (especially for high heels and dresses), tanning, sushi, reading, listening to music and being a closet movie buff. Rachel’s hometown is Pittsburgh, PA, where she hopes to return to live and work someday at a public relations agency.