This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Being in a sorority, there is always the stereotypical beliefs that are seen in the media about how sorority girls can be all about partying and the snobby girls around campus, but that is completely opposite in reality. Greek life is a great way to get involved on campus and meet some of your life long friends. Below are some reasons why you should participate in formal sorority recruitment this spring at WVU.

When you first join a sorority, there is so much that will run through your mind? Sometimes you may wonder, did I pick the right one? Will the sisters like me? Will I meet my lifelong friends? Turns out, you can eventually say yes to all three of these questions. When you go through recruitment, everyone always says trust the system, wherever you bid says is where your most likely supposed to end up. It’s a crazy process but it does work out for the best. Point is, being in a sorority you find your home away from home, you find “your people” and the group you bond with that will last a lifetime.

During your time in your sorority, you will develop and mature into someone who is for the good of you. Going into this organization, you may have never thought you would have wanted to hold any sort of position or even end up running for president, but that can easily change. When you’re a freshman first joining a sorority, you look up to these older women and aspire to be them when you become older in your undergraduate years. Thus, being in a sorority brings out leadership aspects that you may have never thought you desired or have the ability to use.

If giving back to the community is important for you, then rushing in the spring is a great option! All sororities on campus are required to host one philanthropy of their own, usually the national organization related to the same sorority nationwide, and have many smaller events to give back to the community. Volunteering is a huge part of Greek life, and while many all members must have a certain amount of volunteer hours each semester, it helps contribute to giving back to the community immensely. Participating in fraternity philanthropies is also plenty of fun and gets you more involved with Greek life.

Joining a sorority expands your network greatly. You meet so many different people you would have never met if you did not join Greek life. This organization will be with you for the rest of your life, and your sisters will always be there to lend a helping hand in the time of need. You can meet girls from chapters all across the country and network easily from having one aspect of college life in common. Even meeting people who are not in your sorority give you an advantage to network and take advantage of the people you meet during college years. Make the effort to make friends and relationships with as many people as possible. It will help you in the long run of life.

Sorority life is such a great aspect for your college experience. I highly recommend going through formal recruitment in the spring because even if you do not accept a bid, it is still a great experience to go through. Joining a sorority is one of the best experiences you can give yourself in your college career because of the aspects of social, community and volunteering, leadership, and lifelong friends.

I'm from Frederick, MD, but call Morgantown, WV my second home! I am a sophomore at WVU with a major in Strategic Communications with an emphasis in Advertising and a minor in Business Administration. I am actively involved with being a sister of Alpha Xi Delta, U-92 FM, WVU AAF Ad Club and the Mountaineer Maniacs. 
I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!