Style

Where Safety Meets Style: Flare Bracelets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

In September, I had the opportunity to go to College Fashion Week hosted by Her Campus in Boston. The event was incredible and promoted inclusion, diversity and several brands centered around college women and our community. One brand that was present at the main event was Flare, a jewelry company focused on safety. A jewelry company dedicated to personal safety? How does that work? 

Flare produces bracelets with built-in safety features that connect to a device you pair to your bracelet. Yeah, you could say it’s pretty cool.

“Flare is about trusting your gut when you feel like something just isn’t right.”

According to Flare’s website, “85% of sexual assaults reported by college women happen with someone they know in a familiar place.” There are two ways to use Flare to ensure your personal safety and the safety of your friends and family members at any given moment. If you find yourself in a situation and you feel like you need to quickly exit, you can press the hidden button on the back of your bracelet and you’ll receive an automated call to your phone that follows the narration of your voice. The second option is to hold down the button on the bracelet. This will create a group message with your pre-selected contacts, telling them your location and that you would like them to call and check in on you. 

Flare is also highly collaborative and engaging. The company has developed and evolved based on feedback and real-life experiences, making Flare and their message truly reflective of our society and our needs as young women. Flare also offers a 15 percent discount to all student members with great incentives such as goodies, your own discount code to share with others and an opportunity to be a part of an inspiring community. 

As vulnerable as women are on college campuses, the issue of personal safety is very real and present. A safety device that is so accessible and user-friendly like Flare can not only protect and quite possibly save you, it is empowering to know that safety and security are so accessible — especially when you or someone else might need it the most.

Edited by Madison Greer

Zoë Skvarka is a senior MDS major at WVU. Zoë grew up living overseas, going back and forth between Turkey and Greece. Zoë is passionate about activism, fashion, alternative pop culture and art in all of its forms.
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.