West Virginia Really is Almost Heaven

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

West Virginia often gets a bad rap by those who don’t live here as well as some that do. However, the majority of West Virginia natives have a deep love and respect for their home state.

WV specializes in outdoor and recreational activities. Where it lacks in high fashion and exotic foods, it makes up in breathtaking hiking trails and mountainous overlooks (it’s known as Mountain Mama for a reason).

You can start by visiting West Virginia tourism’s website to get a general idea of what this state has to offer. The layout of the website is easy to navigate and you’re sure to find something that piques your interest no matter who you are. You can sign up through the website for a free WV travel guide, or you can simply click through the tabs on the top of the screen.

If you go to the “Things to Do” tab, it will break down all sorts of activities into categories such as ATV and Off-roading, Whitewater Rafting, Shopping, Hunting, and even Scenic Drives. If you’re not really sure what to do there is also an event calendar on the website. Some of the most popular events in the mountain state are the State Fair and the Strawberry Festival.

One of the best experiences in this state is singing Country Roads after a victorious WVU Football game with roughly 60,000 of your closest friends. The games themselves are always entertaining whether you’re watching the actual game or sitting in the upper-level student section watching your fellow peers. It doesn’t matter what time kickoff is or which game we win, I always get chills during the end of the game when everyone is swaying in the stands singing along with John Denver.

Kenzie is a senior at West Virginia University from Tornado, West Virginia. She is majoring in advertising and minoring in Appalachian studies and interactive design for media. In addition to being a writer for Her Campus at WVU, she works as a ticketing and marketing intern for the university's Arts and Entertainment department. She also works as a hospitality and tourism intern for Visit Mountaineer Country Convention and Visitors Bureau. Kenzie loves coffee, candles and all things Harry Potter!
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.