Culture > News

Walmart Implements New Gun Regulations Post El-Paso Shooting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Gun violence and the legislation surrounding it has been an ongoing narrative in our country. With mass shooting culture escalating dramatically within the last seven years, the conversation of second amendment rights has been a predominant agenda-setter with lawmakers. But is it possible to accomplish change for those not in the political arena? Walmart CEO Doug McMillon is one of many to try. 

McMillon sent a letter to Congress on Tuesday, September 3rd, challenging representatives to make a change, and fast. Last month, a gunman killed more than 20 people in a shooting at a Walmart in El Paso, Texas. After this unfortunate incident, Walmart decided that if legislation wasn’t going to make a change, they would. 

New improvements for the retail superstore prohibit the sale of handguns, handgun ammunition and eliminating retail of short-barrel rifle ammunition used for military-style weapons. Walmart has also forbidden the choice of open carry in its stores. Security improvements do not allow the option of openly carrying a firearm.

Although many of these new rules are a step in the right direction for gun reform, Walmart will continue to sell hunting rifles and shotguns and the ammunition that is sold along with those guns. Walmart will also continue to allow concealed carry by customers but they must have their permit on them at all times.  

The new regulations left many unsatisfied. The National Rifle Association is one of many gun-rights groups that have brought attention to the new rules implemented in Walmart stores. 

The NRA has been bringing massive media controversy around the new Walmart directives. 

“It is shameful to see @Walmart succumb to the pressure of the anti-gun elites. Lines at Walmart will soon be replaced by lines at other retailers who are more supportive of America’s fundamental freedoms,” the NRA recently tweeted. 

Edited by Geena Anderson

Walmart is not the only corporation asking shoppers not to openly carry in their stores. Kroger, much like Walmart, is using its corporate pull to bring attention to lawmakers. Kroger is asking its customers to no longer openly carry firearms in their stores, even in states where it is allowed. Vice President of Corporate Affairs, Jessica Adelman Kroger made an announcement only hours after Walmart CEO released his statement. Last year after multiple mass shootings in shopping centers, Kroger announced that they would no longer be selling firearms in their stores.  

Unlike Walmart, it is unclear if Kroger plans on enforcing these rules due to the phrasing in the press release. Walmart plans on enforcing the new policy by putting up signs announcing the request outside of stores.

Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.