The small business is a representation of hope, ambition and dreams coming true

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Approximately 543,000 new businesses are created each month, adding to the 28 million small businesses that already exist in the United States, according to Jason Nazar of Forbes.

As small businesses multiply and take pride in their hard work, the average consumer is beginning to take pride in “shopping small.”

“I remember the day that the new mall opened in Morgantown,” said Jillian Kelly, a local small business owner.

To Kelly, a mall is overpriced, oversized and full of shops selling commercialized products that do not benefit the consumer at the end of the day. That was the complete opposite of her small business mission.

“Many small businesses downtown get their items locally or from independent artists,” Kelly said. “Shopping small and local should be an easy, obvious choice for many.”

Kelly is the owner of “Retrotique,” a fun and colorful boutique specializing in vintage clothes and records. Ever since she was a child, she was determined to open a store “where anyone could stop in and find something they liked.”

The small business throws away the faceless, artificial air of big corporations and replaces it with something much more human. It makes shopping friendly and warm.

Kelly said she has noticed a ramp-up in support for small businesses, especially around the holiday season.

“People say they don’t want to go to the mall,” Kelly said. “I think people are tired of all that.”

The popularity of the small business has grown seemingly because of a raise in overall social awareness in today’s society. Supporting fair trade and hard-working artists over the unfair labor of big corporations has become the ethical thing to do.

“I hope this is just the beginning of a long-going trend of support for small businesses, especially in West Virginia,” Kelly said.

Shopping small allows consumers to support someone’s dream and talent while simultaneously supporting ethical trade; it is the best of both worlds.

Olivia Gianettino is a freshman honors journalism student at West Virginia University. Besides writing, she loves playing the banjo, making crafts and doing yoga. She is a year-round Halloween enthusiast and sports a pair of yellow Crocs everywhere she goes.
Maura is a senior at West Virginia University, studying honors journalism and leadership. She was the president of Her Campus at WVU from 2018-2019, interns with ESPN College GameDay and works as a marketing/communication assistant for the Reed College of Media. On campus, she has written opinion for WVU's Daily Athenaeum, served as the PR chair for WVU Society of Professional Journalists and was a reporter for WVUToday. She teaches leadership classes for the Honors College and is an active member of both the Honors Student Association and Helvetia Honorary. Maura is an avid fan of The New Yorker, (most) cities and the first half of late-night talk shows.