Senior Send-Off: Graduation Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Sadly, it is that time of year again when we have to say our goodbyes and our best wishes to the graduating class of 2014. It has been a great three years with these certain individuals, and the memories and laughter with them will always be cherished. Graduation day will not only be a huge accomplishment for the ‘Class of 2014’, but it will also be a huge day to show your individuality and creativity. We have all been guilty at some point in our four years of college thinking about whether you are going to bedazzle your graduation cap with the flying West Virginia logo, or whether you should put your Greek letters or a symbol indicating what major you have dedicated your four years of learning to. You may have even grabbed your best friends and took a Michaels trip and spent a good hour shopping around for the most unique designs to make sure you stand out. Other seniors may have started making their graduation cap and decided it looked way better when they imagined it, and had to start all over from scratch. Other seniors may be waiting until the day of graduation just to slap some gold glitter on their cap with something dealing with West Virginia University. However, no matter if you are the one who has put thought into the design for quite some time, or whether you are the student who could care less when you do it as long as it looks somewhat cute, it will still be one of those fashions that symbolizes the start of a new chapter. 

In addition to the tradition of decorating your caps, the dress you wear under your gown is just as important. You will be taking an insane amount of pictures today with friends, family, and loved ones. So, you want to make sure you put thought into the dress you purchase. Stay away from black and dark colored dresses on this big day. Tend to lean towards dresses that are lightweight and colorful. Hopefully by the time graduation day comes the weather will be warm and you will want to wear colorful and lightweight dresses. Department stores like Nordstrom and Macy’s have a specific “Graduation” category on their online sites and within their stores. Most online stores geared towards our age group create special promotions and categories for events like graduation. Luckily, there is not a specific color or style of dress you must purchase to wear for college graduation, so the flexibility in style and color preference will help the shopping tremendously. Choose the perfect dress for you because not only will this dress eventually be in a million pictures on every social media platform, but this dress will symbolize the end of one chapter in your life and the start of a brand new one.

Congratulations ‘Class of 2014’ and good luck in your future endeavors!! 

Fashion Merchandising major with a minor in Business Administration Senior at West Virginia University From Pittsburgh PA