Article Graphic. Made With Canva
Article Graphic. Made With Canva
Design by Lani Beaudette / Canva
Style

Revolutionizing Statement Jewelry: The Story Of Awe Inspired

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

While clothing trends change rapidly over the years, jewelry has remained an integral part of the fashion world. Throughout time, jewelry has been used to create statements and is one of the easiest ways to integrate self expression into your wardrobe. As someone who is a jewelry enthusiast, I feel these accessories allow me to best express my personality through my outward appearance and allow limitless creative freedom to spice up any outfit. Without any pieces on, I feel like my outfits are incomplete.

One of my favorite types are those that have strong meanings behind them. For years I’ve purchased from companies that have motivational mantras and symbols engraved on their individual pieces. I wear these especially on days where I need an extra boost of confidence. Jewelry that makes you feel more empowered serves as a token or small reminder that can help boost your day.  

While on the search for a new brand to purchase from, I came across Awe Inspired.  Unlike anything I’d seen before, this brand uses strong female figures and female empowerment as inspiration for their collections. Awe Inspired has been adored and sported by celebrities such as Halle Berry, Kristen Bell, Gabrielle Union, January Jones, Shay Mitchell and Halsey.  

Awe Inspired takes statement jewelry to the next level by creating necklaces, earrings and bracelets that feature iconic, empowering women throughout history. These pieces feature the likeness of historic women such as Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Harriet Tubman, and Marie Curie. They also feature inspirational female figures such as Athena and Joan of Arc. Like most meaningful jewelry companies, Awe prides themselves on promoting self-empowerment and confidence through their unique designs, encouraging harnessing feminine power through everyday life. 

One of their best sellers is their coin necklaces. Normally when we think of coins, we think of the male presidents who mostly dominate our currency. Awe Inspired has made it a priority to commemorate and celebrate these powerful women through a similar, more expressive way. From a quick glance, these necklaces look like average circular pendants, but up close you can see the beautifully crafted depictions of feminist idols. 

One of the most important parts of this brand is that they prioritize charity. Three time cancer survivor Jill Johnson founded Awe to bring meaningful jewelry to the market with emphasis on inspiring others and giving back. 20% of proceeds are donated to a charity of your choice. These include CancerCare, NAMI, The Trevor Project and RAINN. However, with recent events in America, they have given the option to donate to other charities during these times. They have donated 20% of profits from the Florence Nightingale coin necklace to the American Nurses Foundation COVID-19 Response Fund, 100% of profits from the Harriet Tubman coin necklace and a matching donation to NAACP MInneapolis. With the recent devastating passing of the iconic Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Awe has proposed that between now and Election Day, the proceeds from an RBG purchase will go to EMILY’s List to help fund the campaigns of progressive women that are running for office.  

Charity and empowerment have been the goals of Awe Inspired since the beginning and are what have made them stand out as a brand then and now.  

Emily is a Morgantown native and freshman at West Virginia University. She is majoring in Journalism but is unsure of which path she'd like to pursue yet. Emily is passionate about art, fashion, and film.
Kasey is a senior at West Virginia University from Elkton, Maryland. She is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Strategic Social Media, Sport Communications and Fashion Merchandising. She loves writing, being outdoors, listening to music and going to concerts. Most importantly, she is an avid Katy Perry fan. In the future, she hopes to do PR for a sports team.