Post Graduation Travels Can Change Your Life and Help Others

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Spring graduation of 2012 is just around the corner. If your completing this goal along with me, what are you plans after you receive your degree?

Traveling has always been a dream of mine. So, after I walk across the stage as a West Virginia University graduate I plan to head home and pack for my trip to Africa. I am looking for a life changing experience to prepare for the future. To fulfill this passion of mine, I plan to volunteer.

In Kenya, Africa there is an orphanage program called “1001 Orphans”. It is an opportunity for people to share their love and help disadvantaged children. The “1001 Orphans” program received its name from a specific goal: to help 1,000 struggling children, plus one more. The idea of the name is to remind people that there is always one more child that needs the attention and care for survival.

I have already started to collect items, such as bracelets and stuffed animals, to make the kids smile.

In Kenya, there are approximately 1.4 million children that are orphaned by AIDS. The HIV virus causes the children to live in extreme poverty due to medical expenses. They have no way of paying for the country’s mandatory tuition, causing most to drop out of school.

With the help of “1001 Orphans”, I am going to attempt to help place the children into homes of loving families that can support them in ways that they could not on their own. A supportive family provides a child with appropriate shelter, nutritious food, and enough money to attend school. Every child deserves a chance to survive and accomplish something.

The HIV disease is completely “wild and dangerous”. A report from United Nations says that about 24 million people in Sub-Sahara Africa are living with HIV. The statistics are horrific.

There is simply not enough money to fight the HIV disease. The only hope that there is as of now is to explain prevention to the people that live in Africa. The lack of education in condom use and STD testing is a reason that the disease continues to spread. Testing is essential because a large number of individuals do not even know that they are infected until it is too late.

The country of African can benefit with financial support or by having volunteers get involved. Volunteering is just as, or even more, helpful than sending money overseas. It can also provide personal growth and satisfaction.

According to Benefits of Volunteer Work in Africa, doing volunteer work in Africa can be one of the most rewarding and best investments you can make with your time.

I leave the day after I graduate. Talk about not wasting any time! I cannot wait to help the kids and have the experience of a lifetime.

To all my followers: I hope that this piece makes you feel inspired enough to volunteer, travel, or just help a friend in need. It’s never too late to have your life changing adventure.

Becca is a junior from Collegeville, Pennsylvania. She attends West Virginia University where she is pursing a major in Advertising and minors in Business and Communications. She is involved in the Martin-Hall Agency, which is the advertising club for the University. She is currently interning as an American Eagle Campus Representative for WVU, where she works with two other girls to promote the brand on campus. In her spare time, she loves to shop, read, play field hockey and, of course, eat. Living right outside of Philly her whole life, she can’t resist a good cheesesteak and an awesome Phillies game. She looks forward to graduating college and finding a job working at a large advertising firm in either Pittsburgh or back home in Philly.