An Open Letter To My Mom And Dad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Getting older you realize all the time you took for granted with your parents. Whether it be spending too much time with your boyfriend, going out every night with your best friends or even just sitting in your room watching Netflix because you’re too lazy to get up and go downstairs. You’ve just let so many things take over the time that could have been spent with your family. Being in college it is easy to forget about the people who have gotten you to this point, especially the two people who mean the most to you. So mom and dad, this one is for you.

Dear Mom and Dad,

There is so much that I want to thank you both for that I feel like I have always taken for granted.

Thank you for always making me laugh (you especially dad) even when laughing is the last thing I want to do. Thank you for giving me a hug when you know I need it. Thank you for telling me to text you when I get wherever I’m headed even though I constantly roll my eyes at you both, it makes me happy to see how much you care. Thank you for grounding me when I did something wrong and making sure I kept a straight head on my shoulders. Thank you for supporting every choice I make even when you are positive I will regret it. Thank you for the life lessons that you’ve both given me. Thank you for giving me a shoulder to cry on when I would get into a fight with my best friends or going through break ups and thinking my world was crashing down. Thank you for showing me how important it is to have a good work ethic and never being mad when I pick up extra shifts at King Kone. Thank you for loving me even when you hate me. I know in my heart that if anything goes wrong I have the two of you to lean on and I couldn’t be more thankful for that.

I love how your intuition is always right although usually it takes me a while to figure it out. I love the relationship you two have; it gives me hope and warms my heart for my future with whoever my husband may be. I love the example you two set for me. I love how you don’t let me take anything less than I deserve. I love how I have the “cool parents.” Most importantly, I love the family I’m apart of that you have both raised.

You’ve taught me countless things that I will take with me for the rest of eternity. You taught me that no one in this world is perfect. I feel fortunate to have parents who will let me make mistakes and let me learn on my own.

You need to know how thankful I am that I have two people in my life who will always support my dreams no matter how crazy or big they may be. There are some people who couldn’t imagine bringing up the idea of studying abroad to their parents. When I mentioned how great the experience would be you both wanted nothing more for me and now I am about to embark on the trip of a lifetime. You saw in my heart how important coming to West Virginia University was to me and even though you didn’t want me seven hours from home, here I am, about to be a senior at WVU. What I want the most in life is to give back for everything you have allowed me do. I hope that making you proud wherever I go with whatever I do is the best way to express my gratitude.

I could only imagine how difficult it was to raise me but I need you to know that nothing you have ever done for me has gone unnoticed. I have shared 20 amazing years with the two of you and I absolutely cannot wait to share the next chapters of my life with you. I wouldn’t want anyone else by my side, cheering me on through it all.

I consider myself fortunate to not only have you as parents but to have you as my best friends. I want you both to know how much you mean to me and as much as you can get on my nerves (sorry), I love you both with every piece of my heart and I would not be the person I am today without your kind hearts and wise words. I hope that one day I can raise my children even half as well as you have raised me.

Love you always,

Your little girl. 

I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!
  I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.