Meet WVU Outstanding Senior, Paige Lavender!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Paige Lavender has just been named one of West Virginia University’s Outstanding Seniors. Not only is Paige an inspiration for all journalism students, but she is an inspiration for all WVU students as well. As a former contributor for WVU Her Campus, we are proud to announce that Paige is our Campus Celebrity this week.

Name: Paige Lavender

Age: 22

Hometown: Charleston, WV

Major: News-Editorial Journalism

How did you become one of WVU’s Outstanding Seniors for the class of 2011?: “Because I had a GPA over 3.8, I was eligible to become a Foundation Outstanding Senior. I filled out an application explaining my work experience, study abroad and community service I’ve taken part in throughout college. I had to get a few letters of recommendation, too. Once it all came together I submitted my application and was accepted, which was a real honor.”

Did you expect to receive this award?: “I really had no clue whether or not I’d be named an Outstanding Senior. I worked hard on my application and had some great professors writing letters for me, but there are so many great people graduating this year… I thought so many people deserved the honor! I think they picked a great group of students and I’m glad I got to be a part of it.”

What are your plans next year?: “In June I’m moving to Washington, D.C., and I’ll be doing a summer internship with the Huffington Post. While I’m there this summer I’m going to continue searching for jobs, and I’m hoping I can find a more permanent gig so I can stay in D.C. throughout the next year.”

What advice do you have for journalism students at WVU?: “I’d definitely tell students to get involved with anything they can. I’m a news-editorial major, but I’ve had internships working in print, television, public relations and marketing. The more things you try, the more options you’ll have later. Plus, you’ll have a better idea of what field suits you best. Just seize every opportunity and don’t be afraid to approach employers about jobs and internships!”

*Photo credit: WVU Photographic Services

Devin is a sophomore at West Virginia University, class of 2013. She was a direct-admit into the School of Journalism as a freshman, where she is now majoring in Public Relations with two minors in Political Science and Professional Writing & Editing. Devin started her journalism career in Fairmont, WV. In high school, she served as the Editor-in-Chief of the 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 Maple Leaves Yearbook, which went on to receive a Silver Medal in the Columbia Scholastic Program of Achievement. She was a columnist for her local newspaper, The Times West Virginian, for two years. During her senior year in high school, Devin was a columnist for a national magazine, Gladys, where she went on to become the Public Relations Manager. At WVU, Devin is a member of Chi Omega Sorority. In her spare time, Devin enjoys drinking skinny vanilla lattes, watching Saturday Night Live (re-runs, of course, because she is never home on a Saturday night), and buying cocktail dresses. When she grows up, Devin wants to be a lawyer.