Meet WVU Gold Team Cheerleader, Bailey Nelson

Meet Bailey Nelson, a WVU Gold Team cheerleader! Bailey is a sophomore majoring in speech pathology and is originally from Sissonville, WV. Since she was a little girl Bailey knew she would attend WVU.  Bailey is also a loyal fan of Tailpipes.

Q: When and why did you start cheerleading?

A: I started cheerleading my freshman year of high school. My friends talked me into going to try-outs and afterwards our judge invited me to attend a practice with his all-star team, where I cheered for the remainder of my high school career.

Q: What does it mean to be a WVU cheerleader?

A: Being a WVU cheerleader means everything to me. I have dreamed about this since I was a little girl sitting in the stands of WVU games with my dad.

Q: What is it like cheering on game days?

A: Cheering on game days is such an amazing rush of emotions! Standing on the field and on the court during games are moments I’ll never forget….

Q: What advice would you give another girl aspiring to be a WVU cheerleader?

A: The best advice I can give to younger girls aspiring to be WVU cheerleader is to go for it. It’s an experience she will never forget and there should be nothing holding her back.

Q: Do you see yourself cheering after college?

A: After college, I can only see myself cheering again if I would be cheering for the all-star gym that made me into the cheerleader I am today.

Q: How else are you involved on campus?

A: In addition to being a WVU cheerleader, I am also a member of NSSLHA, which relates to my major and Alpha Phi.

Q: What made you want to rush?

A: I wanted to rush because I grew up around my mother and all of her sorority sisters. I saw the friendship they all shared (and still share today) and I knew I wanted to be part of something that special!

Q: What is your favorite WVU memory?

A: My favorite memory at WVU (so far) was cheering the first home football game this season. There is nothing that compares to night games in Morgantown!