Meet the Founder of Wishmakers on Campus, Shae Snyder!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Wishmakers on Campus of West Virginia University  is a new student organization founded by Shae Snyder. Her Campus WVU had the honor to interview Shae and learn a little bit about her organization. We encourage you to join her awesome cause!

Name: Shae Snyder
Hometown: Fairmont, WV
Grade: Junior
Major/Minor: Public Relations/Political Science
Student Organization: Wishmakers on Campus of West Virginia University

How did you get involved with Make-A-Wish?: “My initial spark with Make-A-Wish Foundation came from my childhood friend, Myles O’Dell, who passed away from cancer. Myles and I grew up in church together and our moms were good friends. We had a cute, little kid, flirty like friendship clear up to our teenage years. Then, Myles was diagnosed with cancer. It was the first time I had ever had anyone close to me be diagnosed with a terminal illness. I was young, I couldn’t grasp the concept for the longest time. He and his family were so miserable. That’s when Make-A-Wish foundation stepped in. Myles wished for a shopping spree, and of course Make-A-Wish Foundation made it happen. They were fantastic. I remember the happiness it brought him and his mother. I knew I wanted to be a part of that, I wanted to give back and help other families in similar situations. And so, I  set out to do so.”

What did you do this summer with your internship?: “I was actually very fortunate to receive an internship with Make-A-Wish Foundation of Northern West Virginia. Typically, they do not take interns… With some pull, I landed the internship. I helped them with medical outreach, wrote press releases, worked on the student organization and volunteered at events. It was so much fun! The people in the office are so dedicated to their work. To be able to interact with people who too share a passion for Make-A-Wish Foundation is awesome. I am very fortunate that I am permitted to continue my internship with them throughout the school year.”

What made you apply for a student organization?: “My freshman year of high school, I noticed how little WVU and Make-A-Wish Foundation interacted. I set out then to start a student org. I remember picking up the paperwork and it being so intimidating that I tucked it away. I honestly gave up on the idea until this summer. Then, I spoke to my advisors at Make-A-Wish about working on a project this summer that would tie them to WVU. They loved it. So, I spoke to people at WVU’s Center for Civic Engagement and they recommended I start a student organization. Again, my advisors were on board and with their help, I made it happen.”

What do you hope to do with your student organization?: “The fact that I have made a tie with the two things I love, WVU and Make-A-Wish Foundation, is so exciting to me. I am looking forward to sharing my love for granting wishes with fellow Mountaineers. I want people to be able to associate Make-A-Wish Foundation and WVU together. As an organization, we hope to grant one wish a semester, that’s about $4,500. I think it’s possible. I’ve got a lot of great help and interest.”

What are your future plans?: “I hope to earn an internship at the national chapter of Make-A-Wish Foundation next summer in Phoenix, Arizona. I definitely want to continue working with this organization for as long as I can. On a larger scope, I plan on attending graduate school for Public Administration with a specialization in non-profit management. Other than that, I plan on going where the good Lord takes me, I couldn’t have done this without his guidance.”

Devin is a sophomore at West Virginia University, class of 2013. She was a direct-admit into the School of Journalism as a freshman, where she is now majoring in Public Relations with two minors in Political Science and Professional Writing & Editing. Devin started her journalism career in Fairmont, WV. In high school, she served as the Editor-in-Chief of the 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 Maple Leaves Yearbook, which went on to receive a Silver Medal in the Columbia Scholastic Program of Achievement. She was a columnist for her local newspaper, The Times West Virginian, for two years. During her senior year in high school, Devin was a columnist for a national magazine, Gladys, where she went on to become the Public Relations Manager. At WVU, Devin is a member of Chi Omega Sorority. In her spare time, Devin enjoys drinking skinny vanilla lattes, watching Saturday Night Live (re-runs, of course, because she is never home on a Saturday night), and buying cocktail dresses. When she grows up, Devin wants to be a lawyer.