This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Emily Columbus is West Virginia University alumina that spent her college career marching in the Pride of West Virginia’s color guard. After graduating, Columbus saw a need in her community to spread the love for performing to those who are not able. This led to the birth of the Morgantown Stars.

The Morgantown Stars is an organization that is not affiliated with the university, but strives to teach color guard skills, included spinning flags, rifles and sabers, to disabled citizens in the Monongalia County area.

“I wanted to spread my love of color guard to people with disabilities who usually wouldn’t be able to have such an opportunity,” Columbus said.

The Stars are comprised of 14 stars, ranging in age from 13 to 40 years old. Those who participate in the program have some kind of physical or mental disability, but this doesn’t stop them from giving their all in all of their performances, which have included parades, exhibitions and WVU sporting events.

Most recently, the Stars performed at halftime during a WVU women’s basketball game, where they received great support from those in the audience.

Columbus has worked tirelessly to help the Stars improve their skills, along with maintaining the funding to continue on with the program. Alongside Columbus, current members of the Pride of West Virginia have come together to support and teach the Stars.

Along with the girls, Columbus dedicates much of her time to the program, including weekly practices on Wednesdays.

The program is ever growing, and Columbus continues to get the recognition and funds the group needs to continue and become more and more successful.

“I’m hoping for more people to come to attendance, and support the Stars, and maybe to get some more Stars later on,” Columbus said.

Penelope De La Cruz is a freshman journalism student at WVU. She is a news staff writer for the Daily Athenaeum, and a writer for Her Campus. She plays clarinet for the Pride of West Virginia, and bassoon for the WVU Symphonic Band. She also a member of other student organization including the American Association of University Women, the Animal Awareness Club, Mountaineer Catholic, Culturas WVU, and the WVU Bassoon Studio. To contact Penelope you can email her at pid0002@mix.wvu.edu or follow her Twitter: @penelopeidlc
Hi ladies and gents, my name is Mel, Melanie if you're feelin' fancy. I'm a senior studying advertising, political science and fashion at West Virginia University. In addition to my studies, I am the Campus Correspondent for the WVU HC Chapter! You can hear me on the radio at U92 FM reporting the news and hosting morning shows. If I'm not there, I'm most likely at the local Panera eating my body weight in broccoli cheddar soup or writing about the daily, awkward encounters I experience. I represenative of the college of media as an ambassador and the prez of the magazine club. Oversized sweatshirts and jean on jean are my aesthetics. Lover, not a fighter unless you tell me Joe Jonas wasn't the best Jonas. Laters, baby.