Making the Most Out of Your Tiny Apartment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

There’s nothing better than walking into your new apartment and realizing that once you get the bed into your room, there’s only enough space to open the door and maybe walk five steps if you’re lucky. Even though it’s extremely frustrating paying an arm and a leg to live in a closet, there are so many ways that you can open up your space. These tips are helpful for any dorm or apartment and are adaptable to use anywhere.

With your bedding being such a large portion of your decor, choosing the right color is key.  Dark colors tend to make a room seem smaller, so choosing bedding that is a brighter shade really helps to make your space larger without actually having a larger room. White is most helpful to achieving this trick, but if you’re messy like me and white is just simply not a safe zone for you, reds and yellows do just as well. Busy patterns also condense your space, so it helps to pick a comforter or quilt that is plain or lacks a lot of detail. The color and design of your bedding does not make or break you, though.

Mirrors, mirrors, and more mirrors. The reflection of a mirror really fools the eye into believing that there is more to a room than there appears to be. Essentially, they double the space. I personally keep a floor-length mirror opposite of my bedroom door. With this being the first thing that a guest would see, it immediately directs their focus to how open the space appears to be, rather than to the size of the room. I also keep a mirror hanging on the wall, any open wall space will do. Not only is this convenient for a quick makeup check, but again, it allows for your room to appear larger. 

Reducing clutter is extremely important. This can be done by adding hidden storage anywhere possible. As we all know, college apartment closets are not typically abundant in size, but there’s always room for added storage. A small drawer set for the floor of your closet is great for storing things like socks, underwear and bras. Shelving at the top of your closet is also helpful for storing clothing items that can be folded. Tossing shoes onto the floor is something we are all guilty of, but there is no room for that in a small space. Over-the-door shoe hangers help to keep your floor clear of clutter. If this is still not enough storage, loft your bed if it is allowed by your apartment building and add some extra storage underneath. Amazon is great for finding convenient storage pieces at a reasonable price point.

Hopefully, these tricks to fool the eye work for you, but I definitely suggest that you do extra research to find what will help maximize your space. If you need help with decorating ideas that will add a personal touch, Pinterest is great for that. 

Madisen is a sophomore honors student at West Virginia University. She is pursuing a degree in Medical Laboratory Science with a minor in Communication Studies. Upon completing her degree, Madisen hopes to be accepted to physician's assistant school to continue her education. Madisen strives to be diverse in everything she does by delving into writing, science, photography, and painting. Being so diverse has allowed her to find the beauty in many aspects of life!
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.