Make The Most Of Your New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

This might be one of the most controversial opinions that I’ve ever published on the internet, but I LOVE New Year’s resolutions. I can understand why other people don’t like the concept. According to Forbes Magazine, only 25% of people stay committed to their resolutions after January, and 8% of people follow through to the end of the year. Most people that are against resolutions say, “Why wait to change for the New Year? Make a change now!” While this is certainly true, I love the idea of having a fresh start with the New Year. If I’m struggling to commit to a goal, focusing on the time frame does help me (and my type-A personality). I suggest thinking about a few things that you want to accomplish by the end of 2020 and writing them down. From here, you can make some changes to set achievable goals. 

It’s okay to fall off track 

My biggest piece of advice for resolutions it to take the pressure off of yourself. I used to have the mentality that if I failed once or slipped up, I already ruined my goal so I might as well just give up altogether. If you forget about your goals or lose focus, it’s okay to pick up where you left off. This is KEY to following through with resolutions. The reality is that you won’t be 100 percent perfect, you just have to have the gumption to pick yourself up and keep going. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Eventually, the habits that you’re building for yourself will become a part of your lifestyle and you won’t worry if you mess up one day. 

Set achievable goals

When you think about what you want to accomplish over the whole year, it can be easy to set lofty goals because you have a long time frame to complete them. However, years go by way faster than you realize. I’m not telling you to lower your standards, but smaller goals are easier to accomplish. Start with your big goals and narrow them down into ways that you can actually reach and measure them. For example, if you have a goal to run a 5k but you haven’t run a mile since middle school, start with the goal of running one mile. Once you reach this very achievable goal, make your next step to run two miles. Keep going until you’re able to run that 5K. If you aren’t able to make it past one mile, at least you tried. You achieved your small goal and can focus on the next step when you’re ready. This way you won’t feel like a failure if you don’t make your final goal — you are actively trying to better yourself, and that’s the important part. 

The power of manifestation

Don’t underestimate the power of manifestation in order to reach your goals. Envision yourself reaching your goal. One of my favorite ways to manifest is to take some alone time to physically write down what I want to achieve and speak those words into existence. If you’re completely new to manifestation, I recommend this YouTube video to give a little background on the process. This does take some practice and it might feel weird at first, but manifesting has never failed me before. 

Have a reason “why”

In order to make a change, you have to actually want to change. Some goals might sound nice in theory, but you won’t be able to accomplish anything without having the motivation to do them. Another helpful way to think of this is to change your mindset around the goal. If you want to save money, think about your reason why. Is it because you’re saving up for a car, or is it so you have a financial safety net? If your reason why is more important to you than anything else, you will be successful. This will prevent you from unnecessary spending throughout the week. The end goal becomes more important than the grind it takes to get there. It won’t be easy, but it will be worth it. 

New Year’s resolutions can be a fun way to make changes to your life. I think that they are a positive way to make yourself happier, healthier and able to accomplish more. Start thinking about what you want to accomplish now and write them down. From now until the end of the year, you can always edit them or add more things. Don’t stress yourself out, but hold yourself accountable. Set yourself reminders on your phone or leave yourself sticky notes as a reminder. No matter what you want to achieve, be proud of yourself for taking the first step towards a change. 

Edited by Madison Greer

Juliet is a senior at West Virginia University and is majoring in Public Relations with a minor in political science. She is interested in using her knowledge as a public relations student to work in government or politics.
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.